PCG Article Come see a glimpse of the future of gaming (my title)....AI chat in Skyrim VR

Been too busy lately, but here's an article about a modder who has connected AI chat to Skyrim VR. You talk, they talk. They also remember previous encounters with you and can talk about them. In the video, you also see a shopkeeper tell what the hours of the store are and what a particular sword does.

At the end of the article, the writer say, "Hopefully most games and mods in the future will stick with good old-fashioned dialogue written and performed by humans." This reminds me of my grandfather who said he didn't understand the move away from silent movies. Said no one wanted to hear an actor talk.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz6mAX41fs0

I can foresee a day where it will be illegal to kill AI and games will be pretty much banned on the spot. Some one will have smart idea of charging people for killing AI in a game and flood gates will open. Kill all the NPC in a game for "fun" might end up being a bad idea. Apart from just failing game.

People already can't tell the difference between them and real people. Its only going to get worse. AI pretending to be dead people... check, that is what Replika was originally until it became fake friends.

I can foresee a day where it will be illegal to kill AI and games will be pretty much banned on the spot. Some one will have smart idea of charging people for killing AI in a game and flood gates will open. Kill all the NPC in a game for "fun" might end up being a bad idea. Apart from just failing game.

The Red Cross is already asking people to stop doing war crimes in games:

People already can't tell the difference between them and real people. Its only going to get worse. AI pretending to be dead people... check, that is what Replika was originally until it became fake friends.

Oh, I remember that Black Mirror episode! I wonder how close we are to creating a virtual person by taking all of someone's social media posts and feeding them into a machine learning model. Obviously only works for people who are very active on social media.

The founder of Replika put the texts of one of her dead friends into AI so she could keep talking to them after they were dead. We already have twitter accounts of dead people selling things... Stan Lee.

I saw that Red Cross thing, its the old "violence in video games is real" thing that comes back every few years when people forget how stupid it is.

I do worry about how much intelligence we want to give to AI in games. No problem with making them smarter in reactions but we don't need them thinking.

Oh, I remember that Black Mirror episode! I wonder how close we are to creating a virtual person by taking all of someone's social media posts and feeding them into a machine learning model. Obviously only works for people who are very active on social media.
I just want to say that my social media posts are not even close to being representative of who I am other than while I'm on social media.

Wonder if we could feed an AI all of our posts on here and get it to start 2 new threads a day?

Yeah, I find the potential for NPC interactions very exciting, and not just for VR. I actually linked this article in the April 2023 PC Gamer Article thread a couple days ago. The one quote from the article that stuck with me:

One notable quote from the article:
But it's not this exact conversation that's exciting, it's that it's being generated on the fly (though slowly) and what it could mean in future games. NPCs reacting dynamically to something you just did or said, without having to have that specific dialogue written and recorded for it in advance—that's interesting to think about.

Yeah, I find the potential for NPC interactions very exciting, and not just for VR. I actually linked this article in the April 2023 PC Gamer Article thread a couple days ago. The one quote from the article that stuck with me:

Dang it. Didn't check my own thread lol. I can't wait for the first game that utilizes this. There should be a race on right now. Vast sums of money are at stake.

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS