Question Cloud gaming over fibre broadband, GeforceNow and Stadia.

Aug 22, 2022
Visit site
My ISP recently changed my fibre to cabinet (FFTC) to full fibre (FFTP) at 75 Mbps and since the changeover my Mbps in both Geforcenow and Stadia has dropped to between 10 and 28 from the 50+ I used to get from the same provider (Vodafone) on the old copper (FFTC) connection.

I have spent the past 2 months in constant contact with Vodafone support (who didn't even know what these streaming platforms are!) trying to find out what is causing the drop in Mbps. They have been unable to find anything and we are now at "Deadlock".

I do get 75Mbps with speedtest.net which is strange and clearly the reason they think everything is OK

I was then referred to a UK based customer support agent who works from home with Vodafone FFTP who was able to try Geforcenow and he had no issues at all..

I purchased a tp-link AX1800 router connected directly to the openreach ONT yesterday but that has not made any difference.

So I call upon the skills of you fantastic people to offer any solutions

Reactions: ZedClampet
Welcome to the forum :)

Are you in England?

I do get 75Mbps with speedtest.net
Some others you can try…
Spectrum.com
Fast.com
SpeedTest.att.com
…which are US-based, but what's an ocean? :)

Do you have neighbors who went thru the same change, with whom you could compare notes?

Have you looked in Vodaphone's forums or social media to see if there are other complaints? Try a general search and see what turns up.

Have you tried ping and trace route tests to your streamers, to see where the slowdown actually occurs?

Aug 22, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for your reply Brian.

Are you in England?

yes.

Do you have neighbors who went thru the same change, with whom you could compare notes?

Not that I am aware of.

Have you looked in Vodaphone's forums or social media to see if there are other complaints? Try a general search and see what turns up.

There are no other users complaining on the Vodafone or forums.

Have you tried ping and trace route tests to your streamers, to see where the slowdown actually occurs?

I don't think they publish any addresses, not that I can find anyway.

Reactions: Brian Boru
My ISP recently changed my fibre to cabinet (FFTC) to full fibre (FFTP) at 75 Mbps and since the changeover my Mbps in both Geforcenow and Stadia has dropped to between 10 and 28 from the 50+ I used to get from the same provider (Vodafone) on the old copper (FFTC) connection.

I have spent the past 2 months in constant contact with Vodafone support (who didn't even know what these streaming platforms are!) trying to find out what is causing the drop in Mbps. They have been unable to find anything and we are now at "Deadlock".

I do get 75Mbps with speedtest.net which is strange and clearly the reason they think everything is OK

I was then referred to a UK based customer support agent who works from home with Vodafone FFTP who was able to try Geforcenow and he had no issues at all..

I purchased a tp-link AX1800 router connected directly to the openreach ONT yesterday but that has not made any difference.

So I call upon the skills of you fantastic people to offer any solutions

It sure sounds like they are throttling your bandwidth to streaming sites. Is that legal in England? Have you checked your speeds on other streaming sites like YouTube and Netflix? I would assume it isn't congestion on Nvidia or Stadia's side, so it could be something from your ISP, some sort of content filtering.

You can test general connection problems and traffic congestion by running a traceroute. Open the command window and type in the word tracert followed by a space, and then followed by the name of the site/server to which you’d like to connect. For example: "tracert pcgamer.com" and then just look at the results.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.
I checked again and it seems Stadia is OK, had something like 65Mbps. I was using a tablet when I checked before it may have been WiFi'd on 2.4 and not 5.

I did some other checks but don't understand how to insert screenshots here. "Insert Images" asks for a URL not a file???

I did some other checks but don't understand how to insert screenshots here. "Insert Images" asks for a URL not a file???
You have to use an image hosting service like ImgBB or Imgur. Upload your image there and then use that URL to post your image. It's kind of a pain. If you decide to do that, use ImgBB instead of Imgur unless you want randoms leaving snarky comments on your pictures.

Aug 22, 2022
Visit site
It sure sounds like they are throttling your bandwidth to streaming sites. Is that legal in England? Have you checked your speeds on other streaming sites like YouTube and Netflix? I would assume it isn't congestion on Nvidia or Stadia's side, so it could be something from your ISP, some sort of content filtering.

Yes. You are right but Vodafone(UK) support don't seem to have the skillset or inclination to find out what. Easier and cheaper to palm me off to someone else I suppose.

Aug 22, 2022
Visit site
You have to use an image hosting service like ImgBB or Imgur. Upload your image there and then use that URL to post your image. It's kind of a pain. If you decide to do that, use ImgBB instead of Imgur unless you want randoms leaving snarky comments on your pictures.

That's pants isn't it for a PC specific forum. (Thank's for the info B.T.W)

TRENDING THREADS