Cities Skylines II Discussion

Okay, well, I was just following along the instructions during the tutorial without really giving thought to how building my roads was going to work out long-term. I finished the tutorial and looked at what I had done and thought, WTF? So now I'm starting a fresh map without the tutorial. Tutorial was very well done.

Warning people that performance was going to be bad didn't help them at all. Steam user reviews are sitting at Mostly Negative with only 29 percent positive reviews.

Who is actually to blame here? People, they told you this was going to be the case, so why did you buy the damn game if you couldn't handle it?

At 1440p with graphics set to High, I'm getting mid to upper 20s FPS, which is fine for me in this type of game. However, I only have a small village, so things are only going to go down from here.

I can always drop my graphics down and even my resolution (since I'm on a small screen, anyway). Dropping my resolution got me into the upper 30s, lower 40s on a mostly empty map.

I'm not going to experiment with it any further until I've got a decent sized city.

For reference, I'm on a laptop with a 3070ti and i7 12700h and 16 GB of RAM

what did it default your graphics too? I just loaded it and looked at mine and its 1440p at high settings

menus seem a little laggy. I tried some of those settings but I haven't even started game yet. I will later. Need to be in right mood.

laggy menus could be cause game is on my hdd. I will move it to my ssd once I get it. They don't say it needs ssd but I can see it would help.

Last edited:
what did it default your graphics too? I just loaded it and looked at mine and its 1440p at high settings

menus seem a little laggy. I tried some of those settings but I haven't even started game yet. I will later. Need to be in right mood.

laggy menus could be cause game is on my hdd. I will move it to my ssd once I get it. They don't say it needs ssd but I can see it would help.
It defaulted to the same thing for me. My menus weren't laggy or I would have changed things. I don't think low FPS is bad in a city builder.

I haven't been back to it, though. I need to watch a tutorial or something on connecting sewage and electricity and how to delete sewage lines. I made a complete mess because nothing hooked up correctly, and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. The bulldozer didn't work. I'd put a decent amount of work into it at that point. No idea what I was doing wrong. The tutorial just says to connect the sewage line. Well, mine didn't connect. Nor did all the rest of the attempts that left me with a pile of spaghetti sewage.

I played the original Cities Skylines a lot but on my PC the older game is bad in larger cities due to only having 16gb of memory. I know that a Ryzen 1600X and 16gb 2400mhz ram has no chance of running this even though most problems at the moment are GPU bound.

Hopefully when Zen 5 is release 2H 2024 this game will have been optimised well, even if it's modder's that do it.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
Alright, finally able to put my two cents in after playing a bit following my Winter Sale purchase. I love C:S1 and had most of the content DLC, and I really appreciate a lot of the assets that had to be paid for in the first game are now vanilla in C:S2, however I ended up putting my initial Steam review as "not recommended."

Here's some notes from my review:

Assets clip through environment including on-ramps that refuse to stay on top of the grass, support beams that appear on top of pedestrian bridges instead of below, and not a ton of variety for foliage and props. When things get busy, my midrange system drops frames pretty quickly (i7-7700k, RTX 3070).

Functionally, some vanilla assets are set up strangely, eg. there's an interchange asset set up where the highway has a slower speed limit than the on/off-ramps so cims will take the ramps instead of driving straight through, Cims disobey traffic rules, eg. set no left turn, some cims turn left anyway. There's no alert for a drastic economic shift like suddenly needing to import power or furniture, your budget board just flips upside down and no advisor or chirp tells you, "hey you're losing 40K an hour to imports now." It can be difficult to manage issues without constantly checking the info panels.

Overall it just needs more time and care. I like it as a base but it feels like early access right now.

McStabStab

Community Contributor
I hate this kind of news. I understand that people are upset, but whenever it goes as far as threatening someone because of their product it is inexcusable. I want the game to improve as well, but there is nothing constructive happening when it reaches this level.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts