Cheats, Mods & modified .ini files.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
Goodly Morning,

This thread is for those who have dabbled, experienced and even maybe still commit the crimes of cheating. (@Brian Boru I'm looking at you).

Have you ever found yourself curious enough to use a wallhack? Aimbot? Or perhaps you've been stuck on a boss and decided to mod God-Mode into the game? Edited files to give yourself an edge? Or just collected in game collectibles for a Big-Head Mode?

My experiences of this have been out of pure curiosity when playing Counter Strike v1.6, dabbled with a wallhack and aimbot for the best part of 30 minutes until I was bored out of my brain. The second experience being a map hack for Diablo 2 to find Mephisto quickly.

Myself and my friends teamed up with a stranger on Rainbow Six Siege who happened to be cheating in Ranked. 10 hours later and several games played & won, we've started to suspect he was quite shady. We awake the next morning to an incredible loss of rank, effort and time because of this one person.

If you've cheated in games why did you do it? And what has been your experiences among other players that have done this?

Reactions: Pifanjr
Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
Ooh congrats on finding such a fine and inspiring vista, may it bring you much peace and happiness.

Thread title includes 'Mods', do you regard those as cheating?

Important to specify what mode of play you're talking about—single-player, co-op, multi?

Well you can mod single player games to contain a god mode. And I'm not specifying any mode of play, I'm considering them to all be inclusive in such topic.

See also

I think I used God mode in Duke Nukem 3D, or some old game like that. But I didn't use it much, and I haven't tried to use it in decades. The worst I've offended in recent history was using the console mode in Skyrim to give merchants money so I could sell them my stuff. And one time I got stuck in a glitch in Skyrim, so I used the console mode to levitate out of where I was stuck, to a safe place. That's about all I've done recently.

Mods and cheats to my mind at least are 2 different things.

Mods or to give it its full title .... modifications is a way of adding ( not cheating ) to the content of a game , the classic example is garys mods that were made for the half life games , when he started doing this valve tried to stop him until it was pointed out the mods dont do anything unless you have purchased the game you want to put it in .I recently tried my first mod in 20 years of pc gaming , it was the 100+ milestones for satisfactory , all was good until the main game was updated to cut a long story short .... no more mods for me !

Single player cheats such as god mode can make a game take longer if your AI team mates are dead and your on your own.

Multiplayer cheats are scum .... i used to play an old game called age of mythology and if your rated score got trashed by a hacker all you had to do was change your name and start again with a new base score. This is not possible with the remake of the game that you but on steam because its somehow linked to your account setting , yes you can change your name but if you do your rated score stays the same so if a hacking player gets you your score will become so bad you will never get a rated game.

Thread title includes 'Mods', do you regard those as cheating?
i think you are cheating all the time :D

cheats: only in single player. Only one that comes to mind are time cheats in Sims.
Never cheated to get past a boss or anything. That I remember
Is it a cheat if its built into the game? Accessible without using console commands, like all the rewards you get in Goldeneye for beating stages, or do you have to change game itself to do it, or use bots to be better?

Mods: most of the ones I use are quality of life ones, more space... or they make game harder. I guess more space in arpg makes them easier, you don't have to sell as much. Less hard decisions. But that doesn't make bosses easier directly.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Cheaters never win. This is because the game they played isn't the game they said they won.

If I go and make a little change to the Sword of the Stars 2 .ini that makes it so the "exploratory phase" of a research project is more accurate than it's supposed to be, I'm no longer really playing Sword of the Stars 2. I'm playing something slightly better (IMHO).

Cheating in multiplayer, though, is out. People are there to play the game they paid for, not the game you are forcing them into.

not what the developers intended
That approach got 7% of the vote last year:

Options are a Good Thing!

:)

Reactions: Pifanjr and Kovanen
Not sure if this is a cheat. There was a dragon in a cave in classic WOW that would use flame and kill anyone on the ground, from memory there were eggs around edge of cave. You weren't supposed to be able to climb up on top a ridge running around the area she was in but it was only way we had to survive as most doing her didn't have much fire resistance. By time I stopped going to her I had every drop my character could equip. She had some nice swords for the time... 14 years ago now.
Since entire raid did the trick, I don't know if it was cheating or not. There have been worse exploits used in wow. We didn't change ini and delete entire floor to fall down to a boss like one guild did.

Jul 18, 2022
Visit site
Not sure if this is a cheat. There was a dragon in a cave in classic WOW that would use flame and kill anyone on the ground, from memory there were eggs around edge of cave. You weren't supposed to be able to climb up on top a ridge running around the area she was in but it was only way we had to survive as most doing her didn't have much fire resistance. By time I stopped going to her I had every drop my character could equip. She had some nice swords for the time... 14 years ago now.
Since entire raid did the trick, I don't know if it was cheating or not. There have been worse exploits used in wow. We didn't change ini and delete entire floor to fall down to a boss like one guild did.

I don't even know if that's considered an exploit or not, it's technically there in the game and there's no direct advice of what it's intended for.

How do you even find out about deleting a floor in game, the hell? 😅

One thing I love about Breath of the Wild is that they intentionally made the game so that you could figure out multiple ways to get the job done. They wanted you to screw around with the system and figure out clever ways to do things. It's true that later, people discovered unintentional glitches. But other than that, they wanted the game to be so that there isn't just one intended way to do things. I wish more games were like that.

TRENDING THREADS