Can i increase the fps for gaming with this partial upgrade?

Dec 21, 2022
Visit site
I have the following pc build:
Intel I7 6700 cpu with asus z170 pro gaming mobo. 16GB Corsair ddr4 2400mhz mem. Video card is GF GTX 1660OC 6GB. 2 Samsung 512GB SSD's(EVO+PRO). I am planning to buy I5 11600K + 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ , and new mobo ASUS - Prime Z590-P. My question is will this new upgrade increase fps in gaming.

P.s : sorry for the bad English :)

Zoid

Community Contributor
Intel I7 6700 cpu with asus z170 pro gaming mobo. 16GB Corsair ddr4 2400mhz mem. Video card is GF GTX 1660OC 6GB. 2 Samsung 512GB SSD's(EVO+PRO). I am planning to buy I5 11600K + 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ , and new mobo ASUS - Prime Z590-P. My question is will this new upgrade increase fps in gaming.

Hi pavlinpsl, welcome to the forums!

The answer to this is going to be "it depends." The i5-11600K and faster RAM will certainly have a higher performance ceiling than your current i7, but whether or not that translates into better fps in the games you play depends on whether or not it is your current limiting factor.

I recommend monitoring your hardware usage while playing some of your favorite games. You can use a program like MSI Afterburner to give you an on-screen overlay of some hardware metrics, or you can just check Task Manager here and there to see what utilization percentage you are getting on your CPU and GPU.

If you are seeing high CPU utilization while you game then you'll likely see a nice boost from the upgrade. However, if your CPU utilization is lower while your GPU sits at 100% (which frankly I think is more likely given your specs), then its the GPU you should be upgrading if you want better frames.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 21, 2022
Visit site
Hi pavlinpsl, welcome to the forums!

The answer to this is going to be "it depends." The i5-11600K and faster RAM will certainly have a higher performance ceiling than your current i7, but whether or not that translates into better fps in the games you play depends on whether or not it is your current limiting factor.

I recommend monitoring your hardware usage while playing some of your favorite games. You can use a program like MSI Afterburner to give you an on-screen overlay of some hardware metrics, or you can just check Task Manager here and there to see what utilization percentage you are getting on your CPU and GPU.

If you are seeing high CPU utilization while you game then you'll likely see a nice boost from the upgrade. However, if your CPU utilization is lower while your GPU sits at 100% (which frankly I think is more likely given your specs), then its the GPU you should be upgrading if you want better frames.
Thank you ! I will check on CPU, GPU utilizations . Other option was to buy RTX 3060, but bottleneck will be increased , i think

Zoid

Community Contributor
Thank you ! I will check on CPU, GPU utilizations . Other option was to buy RTX 3060, but bottleneck will be increased , i think
Don't worry about bottlenecks. It's almost impossible to balance every component of a PC so perfectly that they can all reach 100% of their potential. If you upgraded to a 3060, would your i7-6700 limit it some of the time? Yeah, probably. But your 1660 would limit an i5-11600K some of the time too. By determining your biggest current limitation you can determine which upgrade will give you the best marginal increase in performance.

12400F + B660 motherboard

i5 12400 / 12400F gaming benchmarks.

i512400.jpg

TRENDING THREADS