PCG Article C&C Remastered studio reveals a brand-new RTS

The Great War: Western Front

"features both real-time action and turn-based decision-making "

"highly-detailed depictions of real-time trench warfare and broader, turn-based strategic gameplay as Theater Commander"

"living, persistent world, with existing battlefields holding the scars of previous battles and deteriorating as players revisit them, while changing weather conditions"

"Frank Klepacki is also returning to create the soundtrack"

"expected to be out on Steam and the Epic Games Store sometime in 2023"

- - -

2 reactions. 1) Does this mean C&C2 & RA2 are not being remastered? I was hopeful this was the secret project Petroglyph started on ~a year ago. If so, that sucks—there are dozens of RTS projects in the works for the next couple of years, makes little sense EA wouldn't want C&C in the mix.

2) Definitely interested, but concerned about the "highly-detailed depictions" side of it—sounds a lot more like RTT [Tactics] than RTS to me. But the soundtrack should rock!

Reactions: ZedClampet
sounds a lot more like RTT [Tactics] than RTS to me.
I had to look up the difference between the two. The article says that in addition to real-time there will also be some things that are turn-based. I don't have any experience with these sorts of games, but would the fact that it's partly turn-based indicate that it will be an RTS?

would the fact that it's partly turn-based indicate that it will be an RTS?
I don't think so, altho I don't care about definitions apart from helping us to talk about the same thing :) Sounds closer to the military side of 4Xs like Humankind and Endless Legend, where you do the strategic stuff as usual but switch into a combat map whenever forces collide.

My guess is the turn-based will allow for supplies, building, reinforcements, maybe diplomacy—and also the movement of armies into sectors much like how Risk does it. Finish the turn, and if opposing armies aren't in same sector, move on to next turn.

This might help multiplayer tho. One reason I avoided C&C multi was that it always devolved into a quick rush, with the game over in ~10 minutes or less. I assume the turns will interrupt the real-time, so a guy can't be churning out 10 tanks while you're still trying to place your barracks. But we'll see…

RTT Real Time Tactics in my view is where most RTS moved in the last ~15 years…
"Avoid the tedium of base building and gathering resources, and get straight to the action!"
…do I have a future as a copywriter?

Probably trying to appeal to the larger FPS player base, and mostly replace planning with action. So Run & Gun became Zoom & Boom—probably great fun if that's your thing :)

Reactions: Pifanjr
I don't think so, altho I don't care about definitions apart from helping us to talk about the same thing :) Sounds closer to the military side of 4Xs like Humankind and Endless Legend, where you do the strategic stuff as usual but switch into a combat map whenever forces collide.

My guess is the turn-based will allow for supplies, building, reinforcements, maybe diplomacy—and also the movement of armies into sectors much like how Risk does it. Finish the turn, and if opposing armies aren't in same sector, move on to next turn.

This might help multiplayer tho. One reason I avoided C&C multi was that it always devolved into a quick rush, with the game over in ~10 minutes or less. I assume the turns will interrupt the real-time, so a guy can't be churning out 10 tanks while you're still trying to place your barracks. But we'll see…

RTT Real Time Tactics in my view is where most RTS moved in the last ~15 years…
"Avoid the tedium of base building and gathering resources, and get straight to the action!"
…do I have a future as a copywriter?

Probably trying to appeal to the larger FPS player base, and mostly replace planning with action. So Run & Gun became Zoom & Boom—probably great fun if that's your thing :)
I don't know nothing. I thought the supplies and building distinguished it as an RTS, whereas RTT simply contained the military tactics portion. What you're describing above sounds like Total War. I could go for that maybe.

TRENDING THREADS