Question Building a new pc and maybe switching Intel>AMD

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
Its about time to upgrade for me. Ive been an Intel guy for the last 2-3 builds that have lasted me about 15 years but I have been out of touch with hardware for a while. Ive always came here for advice and value opinions on this forums because I know you guys know what you are talking about. Im wanting to build another PC to last me for the next 5-6 years which is usually how long I keep them before rebuilding. I have always been big on reading here vs reviews because here I get multiple viewpoints. I currently have the following setup:

Intel i3570K 3.4Ghz (stock cooling)
Asus P8Z77-V LX
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 2x4GB 668.5MHz
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD Drive
Gigabyte Radeon 7950 Vid Card
Thermaltake 850W modular PSU
Creative Soundblaster Z series

I never shoot for brand new top of the line stuff due to price, but I do like to be at the higher end. RIght now I am only looking to upgrade CPU/Mobo/Ram/Vid card and if needed for new hardware, a PSU. Id like to keep it under $1500. Ive read some reviews and am hearing good things about the new Ryzen processors but like I said, I have been Intel for a long while now. I dont need something that can overclock 20GHz, just looking for a good gaming rig. A buddy of mine told me to wait for the new stuff to come out with PCI-e 4th gen but im getting anxious over here lol.

The go-to would be a Ryzen R5 3600.

Probably with a B450 motherboard, 16gb 3200/3600MHz RAM depending on prices.

A new GPU, and given the budget, a new monitor to go with it. I expect the budget would do handsomely for something like an RX 5700 XT and a 1440p 144hz monitor with adaptive sync (freesync).

1440p 144hz is more affordable than ever, and is now the go-to spec for this sort of budget area. 2018 and really then 2019 saw a breakthrough with that.

As for the AMD Vs Intel thing, there's a lot that can be said. It's fairly easy to argue, however, that Intel's i5 CPUs don't really have a place at the moment.
See: https://www.techspot.com/review/1885-ryzen-5-3600-vs-core-i5-9400f/

An R5 3600 outperforms many of Intel's i5 offerings in many modern games. The fastest of its i5s, the 9600k, still has an edge in some places but not across the board, and it lacks hyperthreading/simultaneous multithreading. It's why in some CPU heavy games it falls behind the R5 3600, and will probably continue to do so more and more as future games adapt to the increase in core and thread counts available for modern PCs. Intel are also going to add hyperthreading to their desktop lineup for the first time with their next CPU launch, which rather underlines the importance of having it from a futureproofing point of view.

PCIe 4.0 isn't a particularly big deal for now. It will be a long time before it's relevant for GPUs, especially in the section of the market you're shopping in. It will be more relevant for SSDs, although 1) we're some way off from seeing SSDs that really make use of all that extra bandwidth, 2) even when we do, gaming performance still won't care whether you have one or not.

It is available on X570 motherboards, which you could get to go with your R5 3600, though the increase in price over a B450 is arguably not worth it when shopping for a decent, mid-range CPU. But it is already out. Perhaps your friend was thinking of either the long, long awaited B550 mobos that will bring PCIe 4.0 to a (presumably) lower price point. Or for Intel to launch CPUs that support it (theirs current don't at all).

Reactions: Zoid

Zoid

Community Contributor
What @Oussebon said. That is all good advice. I'll add my own words as well:

As for Intel vs AMD, Intel's Core i series processors really owned the market for a good decade there, largely thanks to their really strong single-core performance, and implementation of hyperthreading on some models. Your i5-3570K is a good example of the kind of market segment where AMD had no answers. Their FX series processors were ok, and packed high core counts, and their APUs were good value for low-budget machines, but they didn't have anything that could stand up to the gaming performance that you could get from a fast i5.

AMD's new Zen architecture was a huge advancement for them, and leapfrogged Intel's technology in a lot of ways. It's an exciting development - Intel needed some competition in the CPU market, and now we, the consumers, are benefiting.

What makes Ryzen CPUs so appealing at the moment is that especially now that they're in their stride in the 3rd generation, they're delivering single-core performance that is generally on par with Intel, while packing in loads more cores in an efficient package.

As of now, in the first half of 2020, I recommend Ryzen CPUs for most users. A Ryzen 5 3600(X) will perform better than an i5-9600K in the majority of use cases thanks to having double the number of logical cores (12 vs 6) while still being similarly fast over a single core. I also think the AM4 platform is a better one to be on at the moment. It's the same story at the next tier up. I consider the Ryzen 7 3700X to be a better choice for most people than the i7-9700K.

Those are the two CPUs I recommend you look at - the Ryzen 5 3600(X) and the Ryzen 7 3700X (or 3800X).

I also agree that you should check out the RX 5700XT for 1440p gaming. It's the best value for that kind of performance. You can also look at the RTX 2070 Super if you like.

As for RAM, like has been said, 16GB of DDR4 3600 is the sweet spot. 3200 is sometimes a better value than 3600.

Another thing that will be new since your last build is affordable NVME SSDs. I would recommend getting a 1TB NVME M.2 2280 drive. The cheaper ones don't fully utilize the bandwidth capabilities of the PCIe interface, but they still tend to offer meaningfully better overall performance than SATA SSDs, and prices have come down quite a bit. That said, most gaming situations won't show a big difference between SATA and NVME drives, so it may not matter much for you.

Reactions: Oussebon

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I only have Samsung SSD's, never had issues with them and with my first SSD, the software made it easy to transfer the OS from an HDD to SSD. I think there are alot (or even most) good brands for SSD's.

2 of my SSD's are SATA (500gb Samsung 860 EVO), 1 is m.2 but I think it's pretty expensive, it was about €180 for a 1tb Samsung 970 Pro.

Ram I have Corsair, works fine too, but I think it's more important to find out which RAM is compatible with the mobo / CPU. Apparently that can be different so important to figure out.

Depends on local pricing tbh, as there are a lot of good options. It's not so much about brand as about models. Samsung have their Evos, but they also have the QVOs, which I wouldn't normally buy or suggest buying versus altenatives... while Adata have the SU630, but they also do the excellent SX8200 Pro.

You could sketch up a list on PC Partpicker (use the one for your country, default is USA, post it here, and people can feed back on specific models and alternatives that could offer better bang for buck, highlight their favourites, or warn against X model.

Zoid

Community Contributor
Yeah there are lots of good options for both RAM and SSDs, so local pricing can make a big difference in what is or isn't a good deal. We can offer feedback on specific parts if you find some that seem appealing.

RAM is one of the least risky components you can buy, because it's relatively cheap and doesn't fail destructively.

I'd suggest a different mobo ideally, one with better VRMs given you're going for an R9 CPU.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($439.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card ($489.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1419.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-08 13:35 EDT-0400

There's a non-wifi X570 PLUS which is sometimes cheaper but they seem to be the same price right now so, same difference.

As for the SSD, the 970 Evo is fine. The Adata SX8200 Pro offers near enough the same performance for $30 less. The MP600 is a PCIe 4.0 drive for ~$20 more.

You'll want an after market cooler for the R9 CPU.

Any particular reason for the R9 over an R7 3700x/3800x?

Zoid

Community Contributor
Will you appreciate the added CPU power of an R9 3900X more, or the added GPU power of an RTX 2080 Super more? If you're gaming, it'll be the latter.

The 3900X is awesome, but so is the 3700X, and with the money you'd save you can get into RTX 2080 Super territory.

If it was me, I'd go for something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($296.47 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.97 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($699.99 @ Walmart)
Total: $1396.41
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-08 13:45 EDT-0400

EDIT: I see @Oussebon already recommended that SSD swap!

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
I threw the 3900 in because I saw it and it looked good😂. Saving $130 to put into the GPU is probably a better bet though. I could save even more by not getting a hard drive because I have 2 samsung ssd’s right now but if you think the new ones will make a big difference then I will leave it there.

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
I currently have an Acer GD235Hz and...get this, an old Gateway 24” FHD2401😂. Do you think it would be better to put more to the PC or spend some on a monitor? Its a 120Hz monitor

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
I might have to get a new case if that motherboard is Mini-ATX. Should I instead get a board that has PCI 4.0 on it and has the new USB-Type C connectors for the future?

An RTX 2080 Super is wasted on 1080p. It's really for 1440p, 1440p ultrawide, or even 4k gaming. You're paying for performance you're just not really harnessing.

The single biggest upgrade for your gaming would be a new monitor. A higher resolution (1440p) one, that also has adaptive sync (e.g. freesync) Adaptive sync synchronises your monitor's refresh rate to your GPU's framerate output, to get rid of tearing and help reduce stuttering. It's very widely available and supported, and in the case of freesync doesn't add much if anything to the price tag of a monitor, and so should be considered an essential requirement for any new monitor purchase :) And higher res = significant increase in detail / sharpness / fidelity.

You could rebalance to get it all - an R7 CPU, a mobo with PCIe 4.0 and USB 3.1 Gen 2, a 1440p 144hz monitor with freesync, a powerful new GPU, as well as the SSD and the new RAM too, for ~$1500:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($296.47 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: MSI Optix MAG272QR 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($349.00 @ Adorama)
Total: $1505.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-09 06:14 EDT-0400

Or save and stick to the B450 mobo, since PCIe 4.0 and USB 3.x won't matter for gaming performance, or realistically for much else for you for a long while.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
Thank you again for all the help. I really do appreciate it. Is there a 24” model you would recommend? Unfortunately I have a small desk at home(that I dont see getting any bigger) and am running dual 24” monitors. If I was able to get a monitor that could utilize the RTX 2080 super for 1440 P, would it be worth it to spend the extra money? I could justify myself If it were worth the upgrade depending on how much over budget I go. Also I currently have 580 GB of SSD in my PC right now. If it’s going to make a difference considerably, I can opt for the hard drive listed above but if not, Perhaps I could save that money and put it towards the GPU🤷‍♂️ It’s all about where I’m going to see the biggest difference. I apologize for asking so many questions but getting your advice seems like a pretty safe bet rather than just buying stuff.

. If I was able to get a monitor that could utilize the RTX 2080 super for 1440 P, would it be worth it to spend the extra money? I could justify myself If it were worth the upgrade depending on how much over budget I go.

Assuming you have a 1440p 144hz freesync monitor:

There's no hard yes or no answer to whether the 2080 Super is 'worth it' over an RX 5700 XT or RTX 2070 Super. It's probably at the point of diminishing returns for value - how much performance you get per $ spent - but anything from an RX 5700XT through to a 2080 Super is a decent fit for the monitor spec and will give a very good experience. Whether the extra price is worth the (perhaps) proportionately smaller increase in performance is entirely up to you. It's totally reasonable to buy a 2080 Super for 1440p 144hz gaming if you want to spend that way,

The one thing that is certain is that it'd be a waste for 1080p gaming! :)

For 24" there are quite a few. Mostly TN panel monitors but as your current monitor is also TN, it's still the same class of monitor, not to mention it's a much newer model too.

You can use Partpicker to filter monitors by spec and refresh rate. See:

And then just look at the 24" models. Probably the most versatile would be: AOC AG241QX - because you can run adaptive sync on both Nvidia and AMD GPUs, keeping options more open for future upgrades, rather than most of the other models that are gsync monitors and only do adaptive sync with Nvidia GPUs (locking you into that ecosystem).

You'll see 27" is a lot more popular a size for 1440p than 24", probably because the extra size lets you 'appreciate' the increase in pixel count a more.

It depends on your home desk setup but you could always use a VESA mounting arm to create space. One desk in our home has a 2nd monitor out to the side of the desk, held by a mounting arm fixed to the desk.

Zoid

Community Contributor
It’s all about where I’m going to see the biggest difference.
This is the right attitude to have when buying PC components, I think. @Oussebon's recommendations are very good and I think adding a new monitor into your budget is the right way to go. The rebalanced parts list above would allow you to do that.

As far as what will make the biggest difference, here's what I would say:

CPU (no difference): For gaming purposes, an R9 3900X will make almost no difference over an R7 3700X. Their per-core performance is basically the same, and although games are starting to utilize multiple cores more effectively, we're not to a point that a 3900X's 24 threads would be even close to fully utilized while gaming.

Monitor (big difference): Moving to 1440p is a smart decision at your budget level. You'll see a noticeable increase in fidelity, and getting a high refresh rate freesync monitor will allow you to explore more of the performance that an enthusiast GPU will offer.

GPU (big difference): With an R7 3700X, most games will be GPU-bound, especially at resolutions above 1080p. Spending money on your GPU is, generally, how you'll get the most "frames-per-dollar." An RTX 2080 Super will perform better than an RX 5700XT by varying degrees depending on the game, but is getting into the diminishing returns zone. Where you draw the line on the value of the extra frames vs the extra cost is totally up to you!

SSD (small difference): If you already have some SATA SSDs to re-purpose, you don't need to buy a new one per se. The advantages of a new 1TB NVME drive will be most felt in areas other than gaming. For gaming, your old SSDs should work pretty much as well, assuming they're still healthy. You can always add storage later.

As for X570 vs B450 motherboard, it's up to you. That's one area where you have to try to anticipate what needs you'll have in the future. I myself don't do many things with my computer that would benefit from PCIe 4.0 or USB 3.x. It doesn't hold much value to me. So I happily own a B450 motherboard and I'm sure it will serve me well until the next build a handful of years down the line. Your PCIe and USB uses might be different!

Apr 6, 2020
Visit site
I dont have any current use for those but I am a fan of having it for the future since I upgrade every 6-7 years. I would hate to not get those and then in 2 years they come out with some good stuff for those areas.

You're unlikely to see a need for PCIe 4.0 for the GPU in that lifespan of the PC, especially as you're not shopping at the bleeding edge (e.g. dual GPU setup aiming for 4k 120hz). And as for SSDs, a PCIe 4.0 SSD won't improve game performance.

The advantage of USB 3.1 Gen 2 would be for extremely fast external storage. How likely are you to use an NVMe SSD for external storage in this timespan? I suspect not very - most external USB mass storage is still HDD. There could be an advantage for some VR setups due to the additional bandwidth.

You can buy it if you want but the bottom line is if you don't you're unlikely to miss either tech. If you'd prefer to keep that cash in your wallet for other things, it's unlikely you'd be shooting yourself in the foot.

TRENDING THREADS