Been on another forum this morning talking to people who aren't really gamers...`

And I'm shocked at how many of them bought an Oculus Quest 2 for Christmas, either for themselves or for their kids. Just a ton of people in that thread talking about it. Looks like VR may be going mainstream.

More than a few people who were just thinking about buying one and joined the thread were confused about whether you needed a PC or not, or whether you put your phone inside it, so maybe Oculus isn't explaining them very well. But I think it's promising that so many non-hardcore gamers bought them.

A little on the unfortunate side, the development world seems to be dividing into three categories: PC/console, mobile, and VR. We really need more PC/console developers working on VR games, or at least porting their games over.

Edit: I would link to the forum, but it's $9.95/mo.

Last edited:
Edit: I would link to the forum, but it's $9.95/mo.
People pay for forums... Quick, tell Admin... why are we just letting you all in for free?

I expect they get a lot less spam too... hmmmmm

Their own website doesn't even spell out what you need to run the thing, mention of mobile app made me think it did need a phone.

For the OS, it must be at least Windows 7/8/10, as well as the 10.10+ (x86) for the macOS.

You will need at least a 2.0 GHz processor: at least Intel i5-4590/AMD Ryzen 5 1500X or greater. At least 2GB of RAM is also required.
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Desktop, 6 GB
  • NVIDIA Titan X
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (All)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (All)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 TI
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 20 Series (All)
  • AMD 400 Series
  • AMD 500 Series
  • AMD 5000 Series
  • AMD Vega Series
link

the Samsung Gear VR may be confusing those who asked about a phone. Not sure what app does really.

Wonder why GPU listing doesn't include GTX 980, they forget they exist? I assume 30 series left off cause they impossible to get.

Seems you need a FB account to play it.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
I want VR to take off bad. REALLY bad! 3D Vision's stereoscopic didn't work well in most games, but in games where it was appropriate, it was awesome! And that's just 3D in a little box in front of me. Having it fill my vision completely, even when I turn my head, and a sound system that works with a head turn as well.... soooo nice! If they can deal with fogging glasses and motion sickness, I'll be all over this tech!
People pay for forums... Quick, tell Admin... why are we just letting you all in for free?
Huh? It hasn't been free for over a year. You're a mod so you obviously don't need to pay but we've been... wait, have they not been giving you your cut?? ;)

I think Oculus stopped (or is stopping) the account requirement.

Huh? It hasn't been free for over a year. You're a mod so you obviously don't need to pay but we've been... wait, have they not been giving you your cut??
well, i don't get paid so obviously not. They must be rolling in cash, we get so many new members every day.
I will have to speak to management :)

some signs you don't even need a PC either, I don't know enough about topic. I don't have the space to stand up and play a game, and I had Wii... I liked it so much I bought a PS3 instead. So VR probably isn't for me.

Do all VR games need dance & flail room?

I play all of my VR games sitting down. I have a bad back, so dancing around the room for any length of time is not going to happen. But I get almost all my VR games on Oculus, and they require a certain level of functionality, which includes each game being playable while seated. All this really means is that you have to be able to turn around using the controller instead of actually turning your body. But if you buy a non-Oculus game on Steam, there's no telling what kind of control it will have. It could have you standing and spinning in place, wrapping yourself in the cable.
It's the Rivals University of Tennessee sports site, and that $9.95 pays for 5 full-time journalists who get information you can't get anywhere else. I wouldn't pay if it were just a normal forum. I don't know how many members they have, but it's a lot.

Oh, and there's no spam. Even people with Rivals accounts for other schools can't post there.

Seems you need a FB account to play it.
They are changing that. Not sure when.

I've been noticing a lot of commercials pushing that the Oculus Quest 2 isn't just for "gamer nerds."

Seems you don't have to play quest 2 with a usb cable connection but it looks better

nice to actually see how to set it up. Videos should be on their site so people aren't sure.
You can either play the Quest 2 as a standalone device with downloadable native Quest games, or you can link it to a PC to play more robust PC VR games. In the beginning, the only official way to hook it to a PC was with the Oculus Link USB C cable. But since then, they've made an official way to wirelessly cast from the PC to the Quest 2. You really need to have a WiFi 6 capable router for wireless to work well, though. But the Quest 2 is definitely made to play standalone without needing any other hardware. In fact, we've had a Quest 2 for a year now, and haven't hooked it up to a PC once. I even bought HL: Alyx, and I still haven't even tried playing it.

About the need for a phone app, that's just to make it easier to mess with settings and buying games on your account.

Im a believer in VR too! I bought the Quest 2 for my son last year and he loves it. He doesnt have a dedicated PC or console and i wasnt sure if using VR as the main source of gaming was gonna work for him, but it has due to some of his friends having it as well, esp. after this christmas. (he plays on PC but its technically not his).

It does not need a PC which is probably one of the best features to me about it next to its price but thats mainly for my sons benefit, i use steam VR when i play it lol. I bought him some accessories for it for christmas this year (battery pack, battery strap, elite strap) and he was happy with that. It also makes it that he can play for more than 2 hours and still have a lot of battery life left.

I like playing VR too, im not a HUGE fan of playing in VR all the time, but it is a fun experience. If i play for too long i do tend to get headaches, but its a personal issue and its nothing to do with the VR at all.

I played Resident Evil 7: Biohazard in VR and while it had its scary moments, the stupid VR hands were showing, totally destroying the immersion. When VR looks and feels like it is shown in the movie Ready Player One, I'll be selling all my belongings, hooked and juiced up on VR. Probably look like my avatar also: green, stumpy, and chubby, kind of how I look in real life.

TRENDING THREADS