Bad news for VR

Jul 7, 2022
Visit site
You will still need a Meta account rather than a FB account according to an email I just got. Also, my Go will cease to function after Jan. 1st 2023 unless I open a Meta account and associate it with it. Well, that's not going to happen. I'll just wait it out and get a PSVR2 and/or an Apple VR as I am much more invested in those ecosystems. So much for FB/Meta and their concerns with the public...

This is actually great news, in my opinion. Before, if you got banned from Facebook for posting one too many political posts that doesn't align with the way they believe, you would lose all of the games you bought. Now it's separated from that platform, and that is a very good thing.

About having to have any kind of account, how could they possibly keep track of the games you purchase if you don't have any sort of account to tie them to? You have to have some kind of account if you're making purchases. There is no game or app store out there that doesn't encourage you to set up an account, even the gray markets, like G2A.

• Love
Reactions: ZedClampet
if you got banned from Facebook for posting one too many political posts that doesn't align with the way they believe, you would lose all of the games you bought.

When you sign up for facebook, just like pretty much any privately owned business in the US, they reserve the right to do this, and you agree to it. Just like airlines reserve the right to throw a passenger off the plane. I dont agree but facebook is a private business and thats how it works 🤷‍♀️

You will still need a Meta account rather than a FB account according to an email I just got. Also, my Go will cease to function after Jan. 1st 2023 unless I open a Meta account and associate it with it. Well, that's not going to happen. I'll just wait it out and get a PSVR2 and/or an Apple VR as I am much more invested in those ecosystems. So much for FB/Meta and their concerns with the public...

So you are saying you wont sign up for a Meta account, but hey APPLE and SONY are legit? Literally they will do the same thing as Meta with your data and care as much about the "public" too. You still need to have an account, you still need to follow their rules, they can just as easily "steal and sell your information" as people like to say.

I never got the whole "i dont want to sign up for facebook and have to have my account linked" because people usually follow it up with accusations like their data being stolen or used or some type of overreach by facebook, but do this all the while using a smartphone, and probably 15 other apps where your personal data is easily accessible.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Well, you don't need one to buy games. I bought lots of games from brick & mortar stores that don't know who I am. Of course, if my game broke, I couldn't just re-download. That needs an account. So, it isn't so much buying the games that needs an account, it's getting any sort of support afterward.

Thing is, VR headsets shouldn't (IMHO) have stores. Just like my monitor doesn't have a store. I don't have an account for my monitor, either.

Reactions: Brian Boru
When you sign up for facebook, just like pretty much any privately owned business in the US, they reserve the right to do this, and you agree to it. Just like airlines reserve the right to throw a passenger off the plane. I dont agree but facebook is a private business and thats how it works 🤷‍♀️
Absolutely! I agree that the First Amendment doesn't apply in a private setting (including here). You come into my house, and I have the right to kick you out if you piss me off. The problem with Facebook is that it's used by everyone, and no matter what your political views are, at least half the country is going to disagree with you (at least in the US). People talk big and they tend to forget that fact that only half of the country agrees with them and there are masses of people who have a different viewpoint, no matter what that viewpoint might be. Facebook has been kind of touchy and extreme with this stuff.

Again, I know it's their right to do whatever they want. But it sucks that you could lose hundreds or even thousands of dollars worth of games that you bought because of the requirement to be connected to an unrelated social media platform. I don't have nearly as much of a problem with being banned from Facebook as I do losing games I purchased. So that's why I believe this is a good move to separate the two, so that you're only punished in the area that applies.

Reactions: DXCHASE
Thing is, VR headsets shouldn't (IMHO) have stores. Just like my monitor doesn't have a store. I don't have an account for my monitor, either.

That makes zero sense. Why shouldn't they have their own store if they want to? What does your monitor have to do with anything? They both have screens? You have to have an account for everything, even your mouse if you want to use its software. Doesn't matter if they have a store or not.

Last edited:
if you buy a HP Omen monitor and install their software, you get a store.

its just a way to get people to interact with meta as I suspect no one was. FB losing billions on their metaverse and want to get people into the eco system. Everything I seen of it looks like Playstation home... been there.

Last edited:
That makes zero sense. Why shouldn't they have their own store if they want to? What does your monitor have to do with anything? They both have screens? You have to have an account for everything, even your mouse if you want to use its software. Doesn't matter if they have a store or not.
You're right. The Oculus Quest (I don't want to call it Meta) isn't just a screen; it's basically a gaming console. It doesn't just display the games; it also runs them. It has its own OS, and everything. It would be worthless without a store, just like Xbox or PlayStation would be worthless without a store to buy games for them.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Huh? An account for a mouse!? Why!?!?
You're right. The Oculus Quest (I don't want to call it Meta) isn't just a screen; it's basically a gaming console. It doesn't just display the games; it also runs them. It has its own OS, and everything. It would be worthless without a store, just like Xbox or PlayStation would be worthless without a store to buy games for them.
No, it wouldn't be worthless! You would just need to use your PC to run the games. You would use it to get updates, too, assuming any are needed. Get the OS out of there - I've got one in my PC that works just fine.

No, it wouldn't be worthless! You would just need to use your PC to run the games. You would use it to get updates, too, assuming any are needed. Get the OS out of there - I've got one in my PC that works just fine.
Tethering it to a gaming PC is a great secondary feature, but it's not its primary use. If you want something that is only used with a PC, the Quest 2 is probably not your best choice. People buy the Quest 2 because you can use it standalone, and you can also use it for PCVR if you want to for heavier games. But not needing an expensive PC is a big part of its draw.

Oculus Quest runs android on a snapdragon 835. So its features are akin to an any android device though I question if it has play store access. Probably a forked version. OS likely there so they can add new features. And use it without attaching it to something else.

does it have a battery pack or needs to be plugged in?

Oculus Quest runs android on a snapdragon 835. So its features are akin to an any android device though I question if it has play store access. Probably a forked version. OS likely there so they can add new features. And use it without attaching it to something else.

does it have a battery pack or needs to be plugged in?
It has a battery that recharges with USB-C.

You would think that it would be so weak on its own that it's not worth trying to play standalone. But the type of games that work well with VR actually run great on it. When I bought ours, I bought it because it was the cheapest way to get a good VR visor that would connect to my PC. But then, we had enough fun with the native Quest games that I've never once bothered to connect it to my PC.

TRENDING THREADS