Question AMD ryzen 5 3500u dipping to 0.4ghz in normal usage

Jan 24, 2022
Visit site
Hey guys, i am a 21 years old student using a lenovo s340 with ryzen 5 3500u and it has a weird issue of dipping its clock speed to 0.4 from 2.4 whenever i am doing any task like watching live streams or playing games and other moderate to intense tasks. I dont know what the issue can be since i am also using a laptop from dell with a i3 8145U which works far better than the lenovo one. I also upgraded the ram because the buit in 8 gb was already divided into 2gb and 6 gb partitions for that vega 8 graphics it has. So even after upgrading the ram the issue still persists and I dont understand how can i solve this. Please help!

Given my 3600xt average clock speed is 362mhz today I don't see that as a problem.
your base clock is 2.1, max boost is 3.75, but CPU can run slower too if its not needed to do anything. I have cores that are over 1k all the time and others that are on 13mhz now

UmUrZ1L.jpg

Core effective clock is as close to its actual speed HWINFO can get. Many programs that are used to track speeds use the old way of measuring speeds, not taking into account sleeping cores. Ryzen master and HWINFO about only 2 I would believe.

Ryzen CPU generally try to keep cores asleep, so if you ask it to run a task it will wake a core, boost it to speed it needs to run process, and then afterwards race to idle again. That could be what you seeing when it slows to nothing.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 24, 2022
Visit site
Given my 3600xt average clock speed is 362mhz today I don't see that as a problem.
your base clock is 2.1, max boost is 3.75, but CPU can run slower too if its not needed to do anything. I have cores that are over 1k all the time and others that are on 13mhz now

UmUrZ1L.jpg

Core effective clock is as close to its actual speed HWINFO can get. Many programs that are used to track speeds use the old way of measuring speeds, not taking into account sleeping cores. Ryzen master and HWINFO about only 2 I would believe.

Ryzen CPU generally try to keep cores asleep, so if you ask it to run a task it will wake a core, boost it to speed it needs to run process, and then afterwards race to idle again. That could be what you seeing when it slows to nothing.

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any Microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.
Well actually the thing is i recently recieved a work laptop which is a old i3 8th gen processor with 2 cores and its also clocked at the same clock speeds but it runs far smoother than my 20 gb ram ryzen 5 laptop also i usually have like around 20 tabs open on that laptop at a time and it works just fine and thats what annoys me. Also i not able to do any task which is supposedly very easy for this kind of configuration like it literally lags when i am watching a live stream and not only that overall user experience is very poor with that processor like i tried installing ubuntu and it was literally running slower than my windows installation and i am not saying that ryzen 5 is a very amazing processor but atleast it should compare to a i3 of old gen.

TRENDING THREADS