Am i supposed to leave my pc unplugged while its raining?

Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Where I live, it's raining pretty much 24/7 all winter. That would suck not being able to use my pc all winter. Is it just thunderstorms, and wind when in supposed to leave it unplugged?

Depends on how your electricity supply behaves. Whenever something happens that makes it unstable, that's a good time to switch off. Mine is rock steady, so I never switch off for any storms—wind, rain, thunder.

A better solution is to get a UPS for your expensive gear. I needed those in previous places I lived.

Reactions: ZedClampet
Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
Dec 20, 2023
Visit site

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What are the specs for your system (make/model of all installed components)?

This will help size the UPS. Your budget will limit options and you should focus on having an UPS with the capacity to give you enough time to shut the system down during an outage, as well as surge suppression.

I don't recommend the ones you linked earlier. This is getting into one that may serve you better:

If 70 is a hard limit, then this one:

Reactions: ZedClampet
If money is a problem, consider getting a high joule surge protector. It won't power your PC during an outage (so it's not going to shut down correctly), but it will protect it from power surges and other electrical issues that can occur during a storm. The best ones usually come with insurance policies that will replace your PC if it somehow still gets damaged.

Personally, I just use surge protectors. A good UPS that also protects against power surges is better (it can rarely happen that a power surge might pass through to your PC with a cheap UPS), but surge protectors are a valid, lower priced option.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Dec 20, 2023
Visit site
If money is a problem, consider getting a high joule surge protector. It won't power your PC during an outage (so it's not going to shut down correctly), but it will protect it from power surges and other electrical issues that can occur during a storm. The best ones usually come with insurance policies that will replace your PC if it somehow still gets damaged.

Personally, I just use surge protectors. A good UPS that also protects against power surges is better (it can rarely happen that a power surge might pass through to your PC with a cheap UPS), but surge protectors are a valid, lower priced option.
This is the one I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06VY6FXMM?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Wind? not seen that before... guess it depends how many trees in area.

I unplug during thunderstorms as its cheaper than replacing parts or even just a surge protector - as they only work once anyway. Once protection gone, need a new one. Never looked into UPS, always assumed they too expensive down here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts