Question Advice for buying Gaming PC to run specific racing games

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Hi There! Hoping someone out there can give this twat of a 43yr old some advice!
Currently, I use a decent HP laptop connected to m tv to play games like rFactor and NASCAR Racing 2003 (heard of them? - I hope so!) and use my wheel and pedals... Now, whilst these are both decent enough games, I want to upgrade and finally fork out a little more cash to be able to play predominantly rFactor 2 and potentially other racing games like iRacing and Assetto Corsa/Forza etc where the graphics are s*** hot in comparison to what I am playing at the moment.
Problem is, whilst I can see the recommended spec outlined for rFactor 2 on their website, attempting to then choose a gaming PC on this website seems to leave me bereft of brain cells for I find myself completely bamboozled with which is the right option for me to buy!
The recc spec for this particular game is:
  • CPU: 3.0 GHz Intel i5 or 4.0 GHz AMD FX or better
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • OS: Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10, with latest Service Packs.
  • VIDEO CARD: nVidia GTX 760 or AMD 7870
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.0
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.0
  • SOUND CARD: Yes
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 50 GB
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 2 GB
Ive got my wheel/pedals/tv all sorted and considering also buying a racing seat rig but in meantime, any advice on the actual PC unit I should purchase would be great!
Forgot to mention am thinking of a budget of roughly £1500?...
Many thanks in advance folks!

Caseydavidson

Zoid

Community Contributor
That budget will buy you a pretty beastly rig. What resolution are you planning to play on? Will you have any other uses for this PC besides gaming?

Here's an example of the kind of build I would suggest with that budget:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£259.00 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard (£118.99 @ AWD-IT)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (£85.76 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£97.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC 3X Video Card (£474.99 @ CCL Computers)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£94.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £1201.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-05 13:16 GMT+0000

This is probably more than you need, honestly. You could save a couple hundred quid by cutting this back, it just depends on how much you care about saving money vs having overkill amounts of power.

If you're going to be playing at 1080p, the RTX 2070 Super is more than enough. It'll do great at 1440p as well. 4K is another beast entirely, though.

(P.S. You might be better served posting PC build advice questions in the General Hardware forum ;))

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Great build from Zoid above. There are plenty of build guide videos on Youtube that go through the process, its really quite easy, just feels intimidating the first time.

While I'd definitely suggest a tower over a laptop, you get far more for your money. If space is an issue there are certainly laptops that excede the specs you listed. There's a sub form for that too if you'd prefer.

Reactions: Zoid

TRENDING THREADS