Advice for a entry level gaming laptop

May 29, 2020
Visit site
Hi im thinking in buying a cheap gaming laptop for example:

Brand New Factory Sealed Asus TUF FX505 15.6" RYZEN 7 16GB/ 1TB+ 256GB 1660TI for 900$

or

MSI GF65 Thin 15.6 Gaming Laptop i7-10750H 8GB RAM 512GB SSD 120Hz GTX 1660 Ti 1089.99$

which one you recommend?

i want to play GTA V, X-plane 11, Fortnite and some photoshop , illustrator works

Last edited:
The thing that jumps out at me here is the bit that says "Brand New Factory Sealed"

Which sounds like the kind of thing ebay listings say. If you buy things off ebay, manufacturers often treat these as 2nd hand because you are not the original owner, and so you get no warranty.

I'd recommend buying a laptop that actually has a warranty so that if the motherboard, GPU, CPU etc die after two months, or eight months, you don't have a $1000 paperweight

I also looked on ebay and the first seller with an item listing matching that Asus who came up had "only" 98% positive feedback. That could sound high until you consider it means 1 in 50 people who left feedback on ebay were unhappy. It's a relatively low feedback score for ebay sellers. Maybe it's a different seller this time but that probably changes nothing about whether you get a warranty.

Buy a laptop from an authorised reseller.

The prices aren't even that good. You can apparently get that MSI for $100 less on best buy:

The specs are fine for what you want them for - you'd probably add another 8gb RAM to that MSI but fine. It's just the buying 2nd hand with no-warranty for no/almost no savings that troubles me.

May 29, 2020
Visit site
The thing that jumps out at me here is the bit that says "Brand New Factory Sealed"

Which sounds like the kind of thing ebay listings say. If you buy things off ebay, manufacturers often treat these as 2nd hand because you are not the original owner, and so you get no warranty.

I'd recommend buying a laptop that actually has a warranty so that if the motherboard, GPU, CPU etc die after two months, or eight months, you don't have a $1000 paperweight

I also looked on ebay and the first seller with an item listing matching that Asus who came up had "only" 98% positive feedback. That could sound high until you consider it means 1 in 50 people who left feedback on ebay were unhappy. It's a relatively low feedback score for ebay sellers. Maybe it's a different seller this time but that probably changes nothing about whether you get a warranty.

Buy a laptop from an authorised reseller.

The prices aren't even that good. You can apparently get that MSI for $100 less on best buy:

The specs are fine for what you want them for - you'd probably add another 8gb RAM to that MSI but fine. It's just the buying 2nd hand with no-warranty for no/almost no savings that troubles me.

and what you think about this

MSI Gaming GF65 THIN 9SEXR-249 Laptop (Core i5-9300H/8GB/512GB) (rtx2060)

you right, better to buy from a reseller

I saw that one, same price. It has a better GPU, but the CPU has fewer cores and a bit lower frequency, which could impasct performance for PS depending on your workloads. X-Plane can also be CPU-limited. Also the 2060 in laptops is not massively better than the 1660 ti. It is better but apparently not by a huge amount - possibly under 10% according to this (which is actually a fairly reliable source).

Given that they're the same price it's hard to say which is the 'best' for you. I'm sure either would be good. I might err towards the i7 9750H

but on bestbuy i dont get i7-10750H instead i will get i7-9750H
That's probably not worth $100 to you. The 10750H is just a slightly higher clocked 9750H - same cores, same cache, etc. It could be, if the other store is a real store and not ebay, but it's definitely at the point of diminishing returns for bang for buck. If it is on ebay and has no warranty I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

May 29, 2020
Visit site
I saw that one, same price. It has a better GPU, but the CPU has fewer cores and a bit lower frequency, which could impasct performance for PS depending on your workloads. X-Plane can also be CPU-limited. Also the 2060 in laptops is not massively better than the 1660 ti. It is better but apparently not by a huge amount - possibly under 10% according to this (which is actually a fairly reliable source).

Given that they're the same price it's hard to say which is the 'best' for you. I'm sure either would be good. I might err towards the i7 9750H

That's probably not worth $100 to you.

got it i will be getting it from bestbuy, thank you very much for your support.

Jun 10, 2020
Visit site
Considering what you want to do with your laptop my recommendation to you will be to go for MSI GF65.

You should add one more 8GB ram for you know extra boost but please don't go for "Brand new factory sealed" title what ever the model is.
it might cost you some extra money but at least

Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Hello!
Im a PS4 gamer who wants to change to PC.
Im live in Colombia, and right now the ASUS TUF FX505 with AMD Ryzen 5 3550H, RAM 8GB, AMD Radeon RX560X and 512 SSD is on SALE!

It cost exactly the money i have!

I need you help to make up my mind and see if this is what i need. i do play everyday but im not a streamer in need of super specs.

Since the Fable trailer just came up i wanna know if this PC will work with next generacion games.

Thanks a lot in advance!

The graphics card is a weak graphics card.

At 1080p, the laptop's native resolution, you should expect well below 60fps in a lot of recent titles, even at reduced settings. It wouldn't be a good investment for next-gen titles.

Frankly a modern day console like the PS4 you already have would generally give a better experience.

Also laptops can't be upgraded in the way that a PC can be. If it's to replace a console i.e. you don't really need it to be portable, then look into desktop PCs.

Reactions: hospina
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Thanks a lot Oussebon!
With a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 will be better?

I want to stay playing in PS4/PS5 but i want to play Microsoft exclusive games like Fable or Halo. Thats why i wanna invest in a Gaming PC but not a lot since i will continue with the Console.

I do need a Laptop since i dont have any space at home to put a Desktop :(

Couldn't you put a desktop next to / near the TV and play on that just like a console?

A GTX 1650 is an entry level gaming card and the minimum worth buying for gaming. It will do alright for modern titles - certainly not max settings in many - but I can't vouch for next gen titles. And next gen titles are only a few months away what with new consoles coming out in November.

For MS exclusives there's also the option of a next gen Xbox when that launches later this year

Reactions: hospina

TRENDING THREADS