Gaming research

Aug 21, 2023
Visit site
I'm Suzannah, a 36 y/o gamer from the U.K. I am also a full time PhD student, completing my dream PhD looking at gaming, wellbeing and cognitive skills. I am currently working on the gaming and wellbeing element of my PhD and would like to invite you all to participate in my research if you are able to. Games often get such negative press, which I think is certainly not justified. Which is really what my research is aiming to do.
If you are able to help me out in my mission for gaming to be seen in a more positive light, please complete my questionnaire.
I will post the link below.
In order to take part you must be over the age of 18, be fluent (doesn't have to be native) in the English language (this is because there is a lot of reading involved) and free from any significant learning difficulty (again this is due to the amount of reading involved). There is also a chance to win £50 in Amazon vouchers for completing the questionnaire. This is a lottery which will be drawn once data collection has ended.

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!

I don't do questionaires. I'm not sure if they give an accurate insight into say gaming, or just how people fill out questionaires. I did start a thread on here about the Positive aspects of gaming.

There's also an article in today's Guardian, which points out that gaming companies (and platforms) collate massive amounts of data on gamers and their gaming habits, but don't usually make it available.
Some useful links in article.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Welcome to the forum :)

Survey looks very legit.

"the study will last approximately 30 minutes"
Accurate, took slowcoach me 27 minutes.

Suzannah, best of luck with your project :) Some Qs/comments:

Is this for worldwide audience, beyond the language stipulation? Seems possibly UK-skewed…

"the last three numbers of my mobile number"
Not everyone has mobile.

"the street that you live on"
Not everyone has a street address, sometimes just an area/region name.

Reactions: Alm
Aug 21, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum :)

Survey looks very legit.

"the study will last approximately 30 minutes"
Accurate, took slowcoach me 27 minutes.

Suzannah, best of look with your project :) Some Qs/comments:

Is this for worldwide audience, beyond the language stipulation? Seems possibly UK-skewed…

"the last three numbers of my mobile number"
Not everyone has mobile.

"the street that you live on"
Not everyone has a street address, sometimes just an area/region name.
Hello. Thank you very much for completing my survey and for the feedback.

It certainly is open to a worldwide audience, although I do see that it is slightly geared at the UK, mainly because we are expecting the majority of the participants to be in the UK and as it also gets distributed to the students of my university (who are mainly UK based). I'm sorry about the passcode advice, it is just a standard procedure to generate a unique code for everyone should they wish to remove their data at a later point. We have had trouble in the past with people creating their own unique ID and then forgetting it. By using standard instructions (which we are making assumptions about) we eliminate the chance of forgetting the code. As you said though, not everyone has a mobile, and yes not everyone has a street. I will certainly take on this advice moving forward and also make recommendations to the others when implementing the use of similar unique ID codes.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Aug 21, 2023
Visit site
I don't do questionaires. I'm not sure if they give an accurate insight into say gaming, or just how people fill out questionaires. I did start a thread on here about the Positive aspects of gaming.

There's also an article in today's Guardian, which points out that gaming companies (and platforms) collate massive amounts of data on gamers and their gaming habits, but don't usually make it available.
Some useful links in article.
No problem, I appreciate you taking the time to view the post though. I do agree, questionnaires are not the best way to get an accurate insight, but as you can understand, a PhD comes with a time budget and the good thing about questionnaires is that they can reach a wide and diverse audience very quickly.

I will have a look out for you thread and also at the articles that you have mentioned. I am sure they will be helpful for my literature review.

TRENDING THREADS