Starfield Playthrough Discussion

No surprise that those with no willpower couldn't hold off, delighted y'all will be in your own thread. The adults thread is only a week away now!

waiting for Starfield since … 2013. I wasn't going to wait any longer than I had to

Thread suitability check:

Q. Been waiting a decade, can't wait a week?
A. Yup.

Q. Password?
A. Impatient.

Welcome to the kiddies thread!

2,7 hours so far divided between character creation and roaming around harvesting minerals. The first area I have landed at has been pretty cool. Looks and sounds great and so far no performance issues. The scanning tool is working nicely, can see myself spending a lot of time using that tool. Should probably have taken the harvester option, but I decided I wanted to be a space pilgrim with a focus on space salvaging and piloting. The ship is easy enough to maneuver and what impressed me the most is how nice the interior is looking. It looks and feels like a ship! The robot Vasco is also cool looking and he calls me by my last name: Captain Peterson:)

Captain Joe Peterson:
l3IX95D.jpg

I did update my GPU driver last night, but it seems like Starfield doesn't perform particularly well right now, especially on Nvidia GPUs. @Colif posted a video above. The RTX 4060 is barely averaging 60 FPS at 1080p Low.
I'm on a 30-series Nvidia GPU and it's going fine for me. Given the bizarre ranting screed that Colif posted on the other thread, shrieking that it is “Star Failed” and comparing it to Cyberpunk of all things, when it's working fine for nearly everyone, you probably want to ignore them on this.

I'm on a 30-series Nvidia GPU and it's going fine for me. Given the bizarre ranting screed that Colif posted on the other thread, shrieking that it is “Star Failed” and comparing it to Cyberpunk of all things, when it's working fine for nearly everyone, you probably want to ignore them on this.
FWIW, I am playing at 4k on a 3080, so I didn't expect brilliant performance, but I think it should absolutely be better than it is. It could definitely use some performance patches, especially on the Nvidia side. The 3080 being 20-25% slower than the 6800 XT is preposterous.

Given the bizarre ranting screed that Colif posted on the other thread, shrieking that it is “Star Failed” and comparing it to Cyberpunk of all things
lol. that is based on Bethesda's record of releasing buggy games. I am slightly annoyed they seem to have gotten it right for once. I guess once in 10 years isn't a bad record?

Last edited:
Based on reading everything on the Internet (I'm a speed reader), the game seems to be playable in 3 ways (and is good at each).

1) As a shooter: Most people are being positive about its combat and main story progression.

2) As a massive, sandbox RPG: For those who want this, it's apparently available. Just head out and do your own thing.

3) As a creative building game: People are complementing both the base building and the ship building. You have 1000 planets to fill with bases, so I assume this is a valid way for some to play the game.

I have seen a few people disappointed in the exploration, but they are mostly talking about the planets having boundaries. That's not a problem for me. I don't need the map to be a certain size for me to enjoy exploring it.

The main complaints are about performance. I've seen a bunch of those. But almost every game has complaints about performance, and I'm not someone who stares at an FPS counter while playing.

game seems to be playable in 3 ways
That's a good summary.

main complaints are about performance
I've also seen a few about mapping and inventory pain—but latter would of course be part of the legit RPG experience, so that's okay. Needn't concern those of us who want an enjoyable game.

Playthrough going well so far. Encountered one significant bug (a character who was supposed to be accompanying me got side-tracked by a radiant conversation and then didn't continue accompanying me) but was able to reload a recent save. Companions in general seem to be where the game is straining most, with them not quite being synched to the player's actions and taking a long time when they're supposed to do something. There are also quite a few typos but sailor vee.
inventory pain
The inventory is definitely designed for consoles, but I think it's pretty good compared to Bethesda's other recent games. I don't know why they didn't hire the SkyUI guys though.

TRENDING THREADS