your favorite pc cut screens

Nov 4, 2020
My background , i am 65 and have been a die hard gamer since 1982 , i started by using a zx81 , next a zx spectrum , followed by a mixed bag of consoles before getting my first pc in 1982 , so , as you can imagine i have seen lots of changes over the years.

I remember my first 2 pc games , grim fandango and the thing , my first memory of cut scenes are of heads with no facial movement and some were so primitive that you could see polygon structures inside mouths where that had not been rendered very good. Cut screens are now more like mini movies.

So to the point of my thread , what cut screen have impressed you most in recent years. Here are my top 3.

1. the rewritten ending of mass effect 3 , i was so impressed that after watching it i went back to my last save point so i could watch it again. its about 22 minutes long.
2. Anything in any of the dragon age series of games.
3. Horizon zero dawn , i have only just started using this and my first impressions are that from the scenes i saw in the stress test it may end up being my number 1.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Well Wing Commander 4 was amazing, it was so like a movie... wait, recent? Not sure what that is but probably not 1996.

The ending for BioShock: Infinite was the most impressive story-wise. Give us the girl, wipe away the debt. Elizabeth's fingertip. I can see all the doors.... Once if finished, I immediately re-loaded, did the final fight again, and recorded the ending. I'll still watch it from time to time. Every second is a spoiler so I won't post it.

Not safe for work so I won't post it, either, but Goro Majima's intro in Yakuza 0 was really impressive.

Or this one from Final Fantasy 10 HD (see! recent!) for just being flat out pretty

Honorable mention: Xenosaga had some impressive ones, too, but that never made it off console.

P.S. I believe it's "cut scene"

Reactions: Mazer and Frindis

Frindis

Jan 14, 2020
  • The Curse of Monkey Island intro.
  • The first half of the Full Throttle intro while the band are playing
  • The insanely gory cut scenes in Phantasmagoria + the awesome intro playing Consumite Furore.
  • Mega Man 2 intro. Short but sweet and hard not to love.
  • Wrath of the Lich King: Cinematic Trailer.

Reactions: Mazer
Jan 22, 2020
The intro cutscenes for all the Oddworld games are incredible, particularly Stranger's Wrath. They really carry the tone of their games and make great use of the character design and aesthetic of the world.

And second Curse Of Monkey Island. Like a Disney movie, except brilliant.

Reactions: Frindis

McStabStab

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Diablo 2 had a great series of cut scenes to help tell the story. They are very dated now but the voice over talent was incredible and the dialogue was well written.

I love the cut scenes in The Witcher 3. After years of playing Bethesda RPGs I got used to stale dialogue and unnatural camera movements. The Witcher 3 felt like I was watching a movie.

Kaamos_Llama

Jan 31, 2020
I know they aren't objectively the best cut scenes, but I get nostalgic for late nineties early 2000's cut scenes. Stuff like Command and Conquer series, Starcraft, Warcraft 3 (maybe just that era of Blizzard games in general) just have something special about them in my memory. Probably to do with the way they were actually animated or filmed specially as a movie. More recent stuff done mostly in engine doesn't get me the same way.

Reactions: badman
Jan 13, 2020
System Shock 1994's opening cutscene. New Atlanta, Sector 11, Building 71-G. 7. April 2. 0. 7. 2. Hacker begins unauthorized entry into the Tri-Optimum Corporate network.

The perfect cutscene for the perfect FPS.

Reactions: Frindis
Aug 25, 2020
My absolute favorite cut scene is any one with a 'skip' button. I'll always watch first time just because, but on subsequent playthrus I may not want to. Unskippable stuff is one of the most disrespectful things a dev can do to a player.

That aside, I guess any Civ intro is top class at setting the epic tone of the experience. The loading screens for the original Command & Conquer are classic—the EVA section.

Apr 4, 2020
Stupid Invaders (OMG, how funny was that :D), Normality (absurdly strange game, but with some great cutscenes). I have a weak spot for the older, filmed, cutscenes from Wing Commander, C&C, Privateer, Jedi Knightgames, Megarace (ok, the last one might be doubtfull :D).
To me, the best cuscenes are those that present themselves like gifts. Gifts that don't come free, but you have to work/play hard in order to unlock. Games like the old Tie Fighter/X-Wing games are a perfect example. Difficult missions, failing and failing...untill that moment when you reach the end of a mission and you get of piece of the story with some cutscenes. Loved that.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts