PCG Article Xbox boss Phil Spencer says layoffs were 'painful' but necessary for 'long-term success'

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
On a related note:
Phil Spencer says '2022 was too light on games' | PC Gamer

So, not enough games released in a given year, yet you're laying off employees? I understand that sometimes a company needs to restructure to be more productive, but it doesn't necessarily mean mass layoffs. Reassigning and retraining of employees in different departments, while it can be stressful, is a better option than layoffs (to me). And do those CEOs who have multi-million dollar yearly bonuses ever consider cutting back on those bonuses and funnel that money into the company to keep more people employed? Not likely. And that goes beyond just the gaming industry.

On a related note:
Phil Spencer says '2022 was too light on games' | PC Gamer

So, not enough games released in a given year, yet you're laying off employees? I understand that sometimes a company needs to restructure to be more productive, but it doesn't necessarily mean mass layoffs. Reassigning and retraining of employees in different departments, while it can be stressful, is a better option than layoffs (to me). And do those CEOs who have multi-million dollar yearly bonuses ever consider cutting back on those bonuses and funnel that money into the company to keep more people employed? Not likely. And that goes beyond just the gaming industry.
I know this will never happen, but I'd like to see a breakdown of exactly which positions were laid off, and why. It's true that 2022 sucked for them with first party games. But I do know they have a lot in the pipeline that will hopefully be coming out this year and in the immediate future. But it would be interesting to see how they managed their layoffs with their need to keep producing more content. We know the number they laid off, while a big number, is a pretty small percentage of their staff. I know when it comes to that, there is a difference between laying off programmers and animators, and laying off janitors and middle management. But we'll probably never know.

Reactions: mainer and Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts