Xbox 360 controller to Xbox Series S/X controller worth the upgrade?

Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
The Xbox Wireless Controller was updated a third time, this time for the Series S/X consoles.

The third-gen Xbox Wireless Controller and Wireless Adapter for Windows is currently £52 on Amazon, which is the cheapest it has been for a while.

However, £57 is still quite a lot of money, especially considering I have no major issues with my Xbox 360 controller in any games.

Are there any features I'm missing between my 360 controller and this controller?

Reactions: JSimenhoff and Alm

JSimenhoff

Community Manager
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
If you're coming from a 360 controller, I would say absolutely worth the upgrade. Share button aside, the materials of the controller are of a much higher quality. I find the new controllers weigh better in my hand, grip better, and I prefer the tactile sensation from the new triggers.

Reactions: DXCHASE
If you're coming from a 360 controller, I would say absolutely worth the upgrade. Share button aside, the materials of the controller are of a much higher quality. I find the new controllers weigh better in my hand, grip better, and I prefer the tactile sensation from the new triggers.

I agree, 360 controllers yes, but xbox one controllers, especially the first elite one they released, probably not.

Reactions: JSimenhoff
Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
It's hard to say compared to the 360 controller as that's not exactly a "last and current gen" comparison, but there are a few differences in the Series X controller that were not seen in the Xbox One controller (and 360):

The controller now has textured grips and shoulder buttons, the newer style D-pad, "Share" button, and USB-C charging.

Aside from that, the controller is heavier (only about 6 grams heavier than the Xbox One controller but from what I can see online the 360 is apparently 22 grams lighter) and the balance of the weight has changed.

The general consensus from the new weight, rebalancing, texturing etc of the controller is that it has a more sturdy/premium feel and feels less like a "toy". Regardless, I tend to go through controllers quickly - so if you amazingly are still able to use your 360 controller, you may as well use it until you are forced to switch.

TRENDING THREADS