Question Why do video games need credits?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
Lots probably skip past them, but if you are lucky enough to see your own name in there, it is a great feeling, especially after many, many hours spent :)

Having said that I much prefer the credits that have Art or Movie or behind the scenes stuff going on at the same time, that way those not really into the credits have something interesting to watch!!

Last edited:

SWard

Supergirl
Staff member
There's actually a bit of a discussion going on at the moment about special thanks in credits, how for example, in some cases part time devs, coders or testers get a special thanks in games they've worked on rather then a credit - this in turn makes it harder for them to secure sponsors to work abroad/jobs because they don't count as proper game credits. I think they work for folks who have been supportive, but I think it's important to give credit where it's due, especially if their work/art/code helped make the game.

Jun 11, 2023
Visit site
There's actually a bit of a discussion going on at the moment about special thanks in credits, how for example, in some cases part time devs, coders or testers get a special thanks in games they've worked on rather then a credit - this in turn makes it harder for them to secure sponsors to work abroad/jobs because they don't count as proper game credits. I think they work for folks who have been supportive, but I think it's important to give credit where it's due, especially if their work/art/code helped make the game.
That is interesting, I just checked Moby and realised I was put in a special thanks that I didn't know about, I was kinda chuffed *chuckles*

Reactions: Frindis and SWard
Many years ago a the comedian Spike Milligan had a series of programs with the letter Q and a number.

He did a sketch poking fun at the star wars megga credits ..... think it was called grass.

Anyway , the joke was 30 secs cut grass and very long credit sequence.

Man who cut grass
Man who oiled mower
Man who painted mower
Man who emptied grass box

Plus a lot more that i cant remember

James Parker

BANNED
Jun 15, 2023
Visit site
I think it's mostly as a reference to show future employers. Websites aren't permanent enough to rely on to store this kind of information, but they could just put the credits in some sub menu instead of parading them all out at the end of the game. In fact, most games without an end already do this. At least, I assume all 4X games, for example, have the credits available somewhere, but they've never been shoved into my face before.
I agree that references are typically used by potential employers. It's useful to keep a permanent record of your work because websites can be altered or removed. I don't believe that, however, mandates that credits must be presented in an obtrusive or irritating manner.

Zloth

Community Contributor
I think they work for folks who have been supportive, but I think it's important to give credit where it's due, especially if their work/art/code helped make the game.
Is it? Many, many industries seem to be getting by just fine without them.

Let's say you're hiring somebody for your new game. (You won a big lottery and, being a wonderful person, you resolved to spend your millions to make a game that everyone could play for free.) Mr. Somebody comes along and points out that he was a programmer in three big games.

So, what does that tell you? Dink. You've got no idea if this guy was a super-programmer or the reason why the game needed three extra QA people. You can call others and ask, but those others would be wise to keep their mouths shut - plenty of lawsuits have shown that the business can sue them for saying the individual is too good and the individual can sue them for saying they aren't very good. All you really know is that the person took part in some programming on that game - which is probably already in the 'job history' section of his résumé.

do animators do their job because they love the process of animating or because they love creating the finished product?
I love my job, it's the work I hate :)

Future doesn't look bright for many industries where the work can be done by AI instead
They can take heart from the experience of kerosene lamp and candle makers:
“After the electric light goes into general use,” said he, “none but the extravagant will burn tallow candles.”
—Report on Thomas Edison in the New York Herald, Jan. 04 1880

Many, many industries seem to be getting by just fine without them
Not merely 'many', I would say at least 99% of all human endeavor goes unheralded. Much of it far more valuable to society than games, movies etc—and often far more creative too, given the constraints with which such endeavors must usually contend.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts