Which processor?

May 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi all - I have narrowed my new PC search down to two both of which have almost identical specifications - one has an Intel Corei7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache and the other has an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X.

Which would you choose?

Mainly for Flight Sim 2020 later this year.

Thanks!

How urgent is the PC purchase?

As the i7 10700k coming out shortly would be a better buy than the 9700k, as would the new motherboard platform releasing with it

Both of the CPUs listed by MS in their recommended 'ideal specs' are 8 core 16 thread parts, so potentially of the two above the R9 could have an advantage. However, system requirements are often not worth the paper they're printed on. If the PC is mainly for FS2020, the best thing would be to wait until it's released and benchmarked so you can make an informed decision rather than being left to guess.

So: nobody knows which you should choose, and the answer may well be neither

Reactions: Zoid

Zoid

Community Contributor
Hi all - I have narrowed my new PC search down to two both of which have almost identical specifications - one has an Intel Corei7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700K (3.6GHz) 12MB Cache and the other has an AMD Ryzen 9 3900X.

Which would you choose?

Mainly for Flight Sim 2020 later this year.

Thanks!
Firstly, I agree with @Oussebon that if you are purchasing this computer primarily for the purpose of playing Flight Sim 2020, I strongly recommend waiting until the game is released. Once we have professional benchmarks of the game you'll be able to make a much more informed decision on what hardware you need. If you buy now in anticipation, you run the risk of either being disappointed in the level of performance you get, or going the other way and spending a bunch of money on hardware that turns out to be overkill.

With that out of the way, I do still want to answer your question. If those two PCs are identically specced apart from the processor, then the Ryzen 9 3900X is a pretty objectively better choice. The i7-9700K is an 8 core / 8 thread processor. The Ryzen 9 3900X is a 12 core / 24 thread processor. While the i7-9700K can eek out a few more FPS in games that favor the fastest possible single-core performance, it's a narrow lead, and the Ryzen 9 3900X is on a completely different plane of performance when it comes to highly threaded workloads.

If you had to buy this computer today, the Ryzen 9 is the better choice, but I'd wait for Flight Sim 2020 and to come out (and the new computing hardware that will release between now and then) ;)

MangoPop

BANNED
Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
So: nobody knows which you should choose

Ultimately it's the Buyer who will make the decision but until then ...

Ryzen 3000 series ... marginally better performance in games, much better at multi-tasking, costs less and runs much cooler when OC'ed IMHO = best bang for the $$$

don't get caught up in "the name" but check the real word gaming performance and buy the one that cost less, runs the coolest when OC'ed, etc and right now that's AMD

Last edited:
Ryzen 3000 series ... marginally better performance in games, much better at multi-tasking, costs less and runs much cooler when OC'ed IMHO = best bang for the $$$
The 3900x is not cheaper than the 9700k

The 3900x is overall not better than the 9700k in gaming. The difference is slim, but the 9700k is still the better straight up gaming CPU.

I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a 9700k - especially now - but it's not true to say Ryzen is better at gaming across the board.

MangoPop

BANNED
Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
The 3900x is not cheaper than the 9700k

The 3900x is overall not better than the 9700k in gaming. The difference is slim, but the 9700k is still the better straight up gaming CPU.

I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a 9700k - especially now - but it's not true to say Ryzen is better at gaming across the board.

for the record, 9700K was released in 2018 and sold for $380. Two year old tech that still sells for the same price today - fascinating is it not?

I didn't mention any AMD model, you're comparing a 12-core to an 8-core, I don't fps hair-split (I'm a "how does it perform in the real world" kind of guy - couldn't care less about 3DMark scores) and I didn't intend to say "across the board" so I do thank you for the correction on that one.

didn't mention any AMD model, you're comparing a 12-core to an 8-core,
Because that is the OP's question. I don't know why that's their question - quirky local pricing maybe - but nevertheless that is their question. :)

I don't fps hair-split (I'm a "how does it perform in the real world" kind of guy - couldn't care less about 3DMark scores)
In real world gaming, the 9700k is faster than its AMD competitors, including the R9 3900x. 3DMark (Timespy) is actually where the Ryzen CPUs do have a lead over their Intel rivals.

I completely agree that Ryzen CPUs tend to be the best value - especially for gaming.

FSX, FS2020's predecessor, tends to perform better on Intel's CPUs than AMD's as I guess the sheer frequency and latency advantages there are more helpful. FS2020 is a completely different beast though and they should wait and see whether Ryzen does offer better performance for their needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MangoPop

MangoPop

BANNED
Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
Because that is the OP's question. I don't know why that's their question - quirky local pricing maybe - but nevertheless that is their question.

In real world gaming, the 9700k is faster than its AMD competitors, including the R9 3900x. 3DMark (Timespy) is actually where the Ryzen CPUs do have a lead over their Intel rivals.

I completely agree that Ryzen CPUs tend to be the best value - especially for gaming.

FSX, FS2020's predecessor, tends to perform better on Intel's CPUs than AMD's as I guess the sheer frequency and latency advantages there are more helpful. FX2020 is a completely different beast though and they should wait and see whether Ryzen does offer better performance for their needs.

nice replies, I begin to see I can learn a lot here . Thanks

Reactions: Oussebon

TRENDING THREADS