Which one game would you nominate for PC Gamer's Top 100?

Lauren Morton

Staff member

Hey PC gamers, welcome back to the chat log. This week Mollie and I invited on Lincoln and Robin to talk through the process of choosing PC Gamer's Top 100 PC games this year. Give it a gander if you didn't read it earlier this week! As we talk through a bit in the podcast, our team has entered an era of rule by math for the top 100. There are lots of cool effects from this wildly granular voting like getting games we all love but don't talk about as much (Persona 5) way higher on the list than we'd have thought and getting old classics like the original Doom into the top 10, which is wild too. This year's visualizations break down all those categories so you can see how games wound up where they did on the list.

Which one game would you nominate for the Top 100 list?

As we also talk about in this episode, the entire process kicks off with us all nominating a TON (like almost 300) games for the entire team to vote on. That doesn't mean they'll make it into the list, but it does mean we get to make our team consider them. So which game would you nominate? Do you have a recent game that you think has been overlooked? An older classic that you think is important enough like Doom to actually make it onto the list? Maybe you're bashing up against our (very negotiable) "no more than one from a series" rule and you think a different game from a series should have made it on.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Important game missing: Master of Orion 2. I wouldn't recommend it today thanks to the old Stack of Death strategy, which space 4X games took several years to fix, but it was extremely influential.

Sheer audacity: Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children, a tactical JRPG (KRPG?) with XCOM-like combat, only more so. Much MUCH more so! They somehow put a ridiculous number of systems in the game. Crafting? Yep. Capturing pets? Yep. Building robot pets? Yep. Bonding between characters? Yep. I could go on and on - and did, actually. The idea that a new, indie studio could pull all this off is crazy talk!

I think it's a great list to read through, in spite of all of my personal grievances with some placements ('wait, you put that massively lauded game above my personal niche pick that only I love?!') 😅

As for total omissions, I guess this falls under the 'no more than one from a series', but if I was on the team, I would be promoting Half-Life: Alyx. Unless I missed it, I didn't see any dedicated VR games on the list (VR's still alive, I swear). Alyx absolutely stands up as a fantastic standalone experience and is still my gold standard for a narrative driven VR game.

I also feel like Cyberpunk got a raw deal with its placement, but I somewhat understand - it still has a shaky reputation despite its stellar expansion and 3 years of fixes, and only last year did it become the game it truly set out to be. I think Night City is an incredible setting and I loved every second of my time as V.

I'll close with my Top 100 hot take: no Kojima game should be anywhere near a Top 100 😂 And there's not one, but two! 😱

Zloth

Community Contributor
Metal Gear Solid 5: Phantom Pain was awesome! A lot of people complain because the "proper" ending got cut off, but it looks like that ending was all about fighting that giant robot a second time. Blah!!

Death Stranding was also awesome, but for different reasons. MGS5 had excellent combat, lots of fun stealth, reactive enemies (e.g. if you keep shooting tranq guns at their heads, they will soon start wearing helmets), and lots of rewards for creative thinking. Death Stranding, on the other hand, has such a great environment.

I do really wonder why no Horizon game got on the list. Zero Dawn had that killer story while Forbidden West had, well, everything else.

I have copied pasted some of this from my comments in the other chart thread to save re typing it.

My all time favourite pc game is satisfactory.
My current ( second ) playthrough is 4,000 hours long and it is the most enjoyable , frustrating and complex game i have ever used. It must have take years of story boarding to plan this game and right up to 1.0 their were lots of .... can we have ... and the answer was no ..... Then in 1.0 their were a lot of the things they said would never happen so i guess the jokes on us.

The machines , especially the ones in 1.0 release are so well designed you could actually believe they exist.

I recently showed my playthrough to a none gamer and it was only then that i realised just how big it is , no wonder it has taken me 2 years of my spare time , i make back ups of the factrorygame folder onto a flash drive because if something bad happened to it i just know i would not have the time or staying power to start again.

The team at coffee stain studios deserve as many gaming industry awards as they can get THANKS GUYS

Nearly forgot to mention HZD , its the only game i have finished and restarted the next day , i usually wait 6 months or so before revisiting something , not got Forbidden West yet because satisfactory has taken over my life lol.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts