What's your favorite cRPG?

Sarafan

Community Contributor
It's hard to pick the best cRPG in history. It will differ depending on who you ask. :) But what about your favorite representative of the genre? Do you have one? My favorites are:

1. Planescape Torment
2. Baldur's Gate 2
3. Fallout 2

Currently I'm playing Pillars of Eternity 2 and it amazes me how good is this game. It has a chance of jumping on to the podium. Too bad it didn't sell good and we probably won't see another isometric PoE game. There's still a huge potential in this universe.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Fallout 2 cause I played it as a kid in the 90s.

Fallout 2 along with Fallout 1 was the game that convinced me to the genre. I wasn't a cRPG player before I had the occasion to play these games. And they didn't convince me right away. I needed a few tries before I loved them.

The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt of course! I've beaten this game three times already.

The Witcher 3 is also high on my list. It's a different cRPG than isometric ones which are my favorites, but it's also a great game. The writing and storytelling are of highest quality.

If we're defining CRPG as old school, top-down, western RPG then my favorite's gotta be the original Fallout. But Planescape: Torment is a close second.

I didn't write a strict definition for purpose. I wanted the topic to include all possible cRPGs not necessarily only top-down, old school ones. So games like The Witcher 3, Final Fantasy and Dark Souls are also welcome here. :) It's not a coincidence however that my favorites are classic, isometric games. I found them to be most satisfying and I like to read much.

If "C" just stands for "Computer," though, then I'm with Xianders. Witcher 3 for the win.

Yes, "C" stands for "Computer".

Zoid

Community Contributor
Not easy to pick, but I would have to say Morrowind. The way you are thrown naked into a vast and dangerous world, how good the lore, alchemy/magic, scripted events, deep exploration, music, ambient sound, and the environment is, makes this game one of the absolute best RPG games ever created for PC.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. Morrowind was incredible. I can't think of many games that were more influential in my gaming history. I was thinking of cRPGs as traditional top-down games heavily based on pen and paper RPGs, but I'll gladly widen the definition as @Sarafan has. The Elder Scrolls games in general have to be near the top of the pile. Morrowind and Oblivion both filled me with wonder. Skyrim less so, but I still sunk countless hours into it.

For me the top down crpg that had the most impact on me was easily Planescape Torment. I fell in love with the world and the characters and replayed it countless times. Just an all around incredible gaming experience.

Morrowind was my first experience with a full openworld, first person rpg. I was blown away completely by it and again lost months of my life to it. Everything about it amazed me, the world, the story and the music, just everything about it was on another level to anything I'd experienced before.

Those two hands down stand out most in memory to me. Simply brilliant games.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Morrowind was incredible. I can't think of many games that were more influential in my gaming history. I was thinking of cRPGs as traditional top-down games heavily based on pen and paper RPGs, but I'll gladly widen the definition as @Sarafan has. The Elder Scrolls games in general have to be near the top of the pile. Morrowind and Oblivion both filled me with wonder. Skyrim less so, but I still sunk countless hours into it.

Agreed, very few games transport you to another world do completely as an ES game. They may release them rough around the edges but as worlds to get lost in, they are nearly unparalleled.

If we're defining CRPG as old school, top-down, western RPG then my favorite's gotta be the original Fallout. But Planescape: Torment is a close second.

I tried to play Fallout 2 for the first time not so long ago and couldn't get very far. I either didn't grasp the mechanics or give it enough time. I think it was the whole Action Point mechanics i had trouble with if memory serves. I was trying to attack a rad scorpion but couldn't because i hadn't enough AP. Needless to say i died and never reloaded a save.

Reactions: Krud and Sarafan

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Not easy to pick, but I would have to say Morrowind. The way you are thrown naked into a vast and dangerous world, how good the lore, alchemy/magic, scripted events, deep exploration, music, ambient sound, and the environment is, makes this game one of the absolute best RPG games ever created for PC.

On the contrary, it has also a lot of glitches. :) But I agree that it's a marvelous game. Probably the best TES game released so far. The character development is a lot better than in Skyrim and the game doesn't use navigation marks which makes it more demanding than its modern counterparts.

Morrowind and Oblivion both filled me with wonder. Skyrim less so, but I still sunk countless hours into it.

Main problem with Oblivion is that it has an extreme level scaling. This makes character development quite pointless. Of course level scaling ensures that we'll have a challenge even on higher character levels, but it's still quite annoying for me.

For me the top down crpg that had the most impact on me was easily Planescape Torment. I fell in love with the world and the characters and replayed it countless times. Just an all around incredible gaming experience.

A true classic gem. I also replayed it many times and plan to replay it many times in the future. The developers outpaced themselves with this game.

I was trying to attack a rad scorpion but couldn't because i hadn't enough AP. Needless to say i died and never reloaded a save.

Yeah, Agility is one of the most important stats in the game. Without it you don't have enough AP to even escape from enemies. You should try to play the game once again. This time with a character that relies on Agility. There are countless guides over the Internet that will help you create a good character.

On the contrary, it has also a lot of glitches. :) But I agree that it's a marvelous game. Probably the best TES game released so far. The character development is a lot better than in Skyrim and the game doesn't use navigation marks which makes it more demanding than its modern counterparts.

Main problem with Oblivion is that it has an extreme level scaling. This makes character development quite pointless. Of course level scaling ensures that we'll have a challenge even on higher character levels, but it's still quite annoying for me.

A true classic gem. I also replayed it many times and plan to replay it many times in the future. The developers outpaced themselves with this game.

Yeah, Agility is one of the most important stats in the game. Without it you don't have enough AP to even escape from enemies. You should try to play the game once again. This time with a character that relies on Agility. There are countless guides over the Internet that will help you create a good character.

Thanks for the advice. I may try again in the near future as i heard so much great things about the game. It would be a shame if i gave up on it so easily and completely.

Reactions: Krud
Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
At least in my head I would say that Baldurs Gate 2, Icewind Dale 2 and Planescape Torment are on the top. But I am not so sure if I would still make this statement if I would play them in 2020.

I would say that the Skywind Mod for Skyrim probably shows me that Morrowind is still also very good. When it comes to more modern games, I have other games on my list:

Divinity Original Sin 2
The Witcher Series
Fallout: New Vegas
Pillars of Eternity 1 (2 never grabbed me).

Jan 13, 2020
twitch.tv
Definitely Planescape Torment for me. It was the first game that blew my mind with its writing. I've been meaning to play the Enhanced Edition for a while now.
I also really enjoyed Tyranny, I thought it had an incredibly interesting premise and realised those ideas quite well.
I've been meaning to fully dive into PoE and PoE2 for the longest time, perhaps now Cyberpunk is delayed I'll have more of an opportunity to.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Definitely Planescape Torment for me. It was the first game that blew my mind with its writing. I've been meaning to play the Enhanced Edition for a while now.
I also really enjoyed Tyranny, I thought it had an incredibly interesting premise and realised those ideas quite well.
I've been meaning to fully dive into PoE and PoE2 for the longest time, perhaps now Cyberpunk is delayed I'll have more of an opportunity to.

The writing in Planescape Torment can compete even with very good books. Perhaps the only computer game with such a good writing apart of PT is Disco Elysium.

I also liked Tyranny. It was unconventional for me to play as an evil character. Usually I roleplay the good guys. Team based abilities were also something very interesting and I hope this will be explored in other cRPGs.

You should like both PoE games. Only remember to expect a little more chaotic combat system than the one you can find in the D&D based games.

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire is my favourite one.

Others that I like a lot: Pillars of Eternity, Baldur's Gate and IceWind Dale series, Fallout 1 and 2, Dragon age: origins, Divinity: OS 1 and 2, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, ATOM rpg, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, Neverwinter Nights mods (Aielund Saga, A dance with rogues, etc), Wasteland 2 DC, Shadowrun Dragonfall, Tyranny, Expedions: Viking, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Knights of the Chalice, UndeRail, Age of Decadence/Dungeon Rats, Serpent in the Staglands, Battle Brothers and Lords of Xulima.

This are the best of the best in my opinion. As you noticed, I am not into action rpgs, I much rather prefer a more tactical perspective.

But there are great actions rpgs that I respect, like Vampire the Masquerdade, Gothic 2, Deus Ex, Morrowind, Fallout New Vegas and Kingdom Come Deliverance. This games dont have great combat mechanics, though, with the latter being the exception of the rule.

Last edited:

McStabStab

Community Contributor
In my opinion cRPG doesn't include The Witcher or Elder Scrolls games. I always saw cRPGs as top down, turn based combat, deep gameplay system titles. That being said I've only played so many, but I really loved Fallout 1 & 2 and have loved Divinity: Original Sin 2, but haven't finished it yet.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
In my opinion cRPG doesn't include The Witcher or Elder Scrolls games. I always saw cRPGs as top down, turn based combat, deep gameplay system titles.

And what about games like Eye of the Beholder or Might & Magic series? These are not top down games, but are considered to be a full-fledged cRPGs. I think there's no reason to exclude these titles from the list. RPG is a wide term... :)

Reactions: Krud and Judge

McStabStab

Community Contributor
And what about games like Eye of the Beholder or Might & Magic series? These are not top down games, but are considered to be a full-fledged cRPGs. I think there's no reason to exclude these titles from the list. RPG is a wide term... :)

I agree with that, although I've never played them. Definitely take my definition with a grain of salt, I'm just going off my experiences.

Reactions: Sarafan
Leaving aside the Renaissance era RPGs (Infinity Engine games, fallouts, arcanum etc) I spent the most time with Daggerfall, my favourite elder scrolls game. It seems like that was the one where every big idea of the series was born. Vampirism and lycanthropy, horses and carts, house and business ownership, guild membership and heirarchy, all of these mechanics were either introduced or refined in Daggerfall.

Also, big shout out to the library of classic RPGs from Jeff Vogel at Spiderweb Games. I'd love to see more of them make the jump to android.

TRENDING THREADS