What's a game mechanic you wish more games would use?

Welcome to the forum :)

Without a doubt, my top wish is for much more use of the 'Skip' mechanic.

♣ For Intro sequences—at a bare minimum make them skippable after one play, so we don't have to wait for a helpful mod.

♦ For off-genre play sequences—let them reward those who want to play them, but don't spoil the enjoyment for those who don't like or aren't good at the foreign genre play.

♥ For cut scenes—same bare minimum as ♣ above.

Reactions: DXCHASE and Pifanjr

♣ For Intro sequences—at a bare minimum make them skippable after one play, so we don't have to wait for a helpful mod.

♦ For off-genre play sequences—let them reward those who want to play them, but don't spoil the enjoyment for those who don't like or aren't good at the foreign genre play.

I'd like to add being able to skip dialogue one line/section at a time, so I can just read the subtitles without having to wait for the voice actors to catch up.

Reactions: Brian Boru
See also:

Jul 2, 2024
Visit site

Oh man, you reminded me of my Yakuza platinum playthroughs where I had to go through the tutorials over and over again. So imagine my pain: Y3 and Y4 require three (!) playthroughs to get platinum if the first playthrough was on normal difficulty.

I mean, just let me skip those tutorials!

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2024
Visit site
Oh man, you reminded me of my Yakuza platinum playthroughs where I had to go through the tutorials over and over again. So imagine my pain: Y3 and Y4 require three (!) playthroughs to get platinum if the first playthrough was on normal difficulty.

I mean, just let me skip those tutorials!
Oh man your reply just got some i don't know i cant't even explain it to you

Reactions: ZedClampet
Jul 3, 2024
Visit site

Ok point noted

I would say being able to earn worthwhile perks and upgrades, and an upgrade system that is comprehensive and well thought out. I would also like to see any significant efforts be given usable rewards, vs just an "achievement" or "trophy" label. It's been a problem IMO for some time that too many games hand out achievements for ridiculously easy tasks that are just simple basic parts of playing a game. I'd MUCH rather have to work hard to accomplish a task, then be given a useful reward, even if a small one.

Too bad a relevant thread such as this was troubled by clowns. I see they've been silenced though. (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pifanjr
Jul 3, 2024
Visit site
I would say being able to earn worthwhile perks and upgrades, and an upgrade system that is comprehensive and well thought out. I would also like to see any significant efforts be given usable rewards, vs just an "achievement" or "trophy" label. It's been a problem IMO for some time that too many games hand out achievements for ridiculously easy tasks that are just simple basic parts of playing a game. I'd MUCH rather have to work hard to accomplish a task, then be given a useful reward, even if a small one.

Too bad a relevant thread such as this was troubled by clowns. I see they've been silenced though. (y)
(y)(y)

Here's another for turn-based games:

Just playing some Civ5 and it's a real PITA to have to move a unit in one turn and give it its action next turn. Most obvious annoyance with Workers—got to move it onto the hill this turn, and then next turn tell it to build a Mine.

I recall in Civ4 there was a way to chain actions, which was much appreciated—I don't know if it was in the plain game or was part of the excellent BUG/BAT UI mod. Do this, then that—just one command.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS