What would a next gen cooling system in a laptop look like?

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
I've only ever seen fans, pipes, and liquid cooling used for cooling. They're well understood and generally inexpensive ... but, I've always thought they're limited in their effectiveness. There's got to be something better just around the corner. Whatever that better design and method is ought to be pretty revolutionary and allow mega gains in sustained performance.

I've always wondered if one day we'll have some sort of solid state heat pump. Today those devices use a lot of power and aren't very efficient. Could that change one day?

What do you think a next gen cooling system would look like?

-=- Boris

Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
@6BQ5 This is an interesting topic I concur on.

For starters, CPU micro architecture keeps getting lower and lower, year by year.

Phone CPUs for example, have got incredible efficiency in the power to performance ratio and doing so without any true cooling method.

Bare in mind that consumers want a lighter and thinner system, so there will be less room for a decent dedicated cooling product within the build.

So in conclusion, today's best method of reducing heat is to add more cores and threads, lower the base clock speed and reduce the nm's.

Reactions: 6BQ5
Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
In addition to all that, could the layout of a laptop be changed? Does the GPU need to be under the keyboard or could it somehow be placed inside the display lid? Would that spread the heat to a new, larger surface that may not require as much fan power?

-=- Boris

Mar 16, 2020
Visit site
In addition to all that, could the layout of a laptop be changed? Does the GPU need to be under the keyboard or could it somehow be placed inside the display lid? Would that spread the heat to a new, larger surface that may not require as much fan power?

-=- Boris
Your attention is very good,it is time to make some changes.

TRENDING THREADS