Question What is the most played game in history

Jan 13, 2020
Could be something like World of Warcraft with the amount of players and average game time
That may actually be true, if you count all the /played between all the players who ever subscribed I have no doubt that it surpasses even old classics that are still around today.

As for me, 12 years ago I vowed to never type in /played again and I haven't. Do not ever do that to yourself, it's not worth the shock.

According to this, the game with the most players is PUBG, with over 1 billion, including mobile users. However, mobile accounts and PC accounts are not connected as far as I'm aware, so there's probably a lot of doubles in there.

This site also shows the peak concurrent number of players on Steam for PUBG is a little over 3.2 million players:

To compare, Fortnite's Travis Scott event reportedly had 12.3 million concurrent players.

Last edited:
According to this, the game with the most players is PUBG, with over 1 billion, including mobile users. However, mobile accounts and PC accounts are not connected as far as I'm aware, so there's probably a lot of doubles in there.

This site also shows the peak concurrent number of players on Steam for PUBG is a little over 3.2 million players:

To compare, Fortnite's Travis Scott event reportedly had 12.3 million concurrent players.
I guess the charts I saw were from the pre battle royale world. Or maybe there's just more than one way of looking at the statistics, or the authors ere lazy.

Reactions: Alm and Pifanjr
This blog estimates the total amount of hours in Minecraft to be around 68 million years. It's obviously a rough estimate, as Minecraft can be played offline, but I think it's accurate enough to say there's a good chance that Minecraft does have more total hours than Fortnite:

According to this, it's Fortnite, with a total of 19.2 million years of gameplay:

I'm not sure how accurate those numbers are and it obviously cannot account for all games, but that's a lot of hours nonetheless.
I couldn't find a number for PUBG directly, but taking the average number of concurrent players per month since the beginning over all months, then multiplying that by the total number of months, times the average number of days per month, times the number of hours per day, I get to 2.2 million years just from Steam alone.
PUBG mobile has 30 million daily users, so assuming an average of 1 hour playtime per daily user gives an additional 5.7 million years. And that's a conservative estimate, PUBG mobile used to have 100 million daily users and considering a single match takes 20 minutes the average per player might very well be more than an hour a day.

P.S. sorry for all the separate posts, I'm doing this on phone in between other stuff, so I'm just posting whenever I find something new.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru
Chess... we just can't get total historic figures as it quickly approaches infinity

Eye Spy

Why does it have to be a computer game? They only been around 50 years, man been here several million. Think outside the box.

Go has been around since 2000 BC. How many Chinese are there?
Backgammon and Checkers are both 3000 BC

the internet has such a short memory. It struggles with details prior to 1980.

Last edited:
Chess... we just can't get total historic figures as it quickly approaches infinity

Eye Spy

Why does it have to be a computer game? They only been around 50 years, man been here several million. Think outside the box.

Go has been around since 2000 BC. How many Chinese are there?
Backgammon and Checkers are both 3000 BC

the internet has such a short memory. It struggles with details prior to 1980.
Why limit it to human games? There's a ton of animals that engage in play-fighting in one way or another.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
May 11, 2022
That's probably the right tangeant. The most "played" games in general are mobile games so if one of them managed to overtake Tetris then we have our answer.
Pokemon Go Is the second-most downloaded app in the world, right after PUBG mobile, and was released July 6, 2016. Clash of Clans is in the top 10 most downloaded and was released August 2, 2012.

Assuming that the average concurrent player count per day is about half of the peak concurrent player count per day, I get to about 25 million years total playtime for each.

PUBG mobile was released on March 19, 2018. The peak concurrent players is unknown, but the live concurrent player count is about 1.5 times that of Pokemon Go at the time of writing, so if we assume the average concurrent player number since release is 1.5 times that of Pokemon Go, we get around 27 million years of playtime.

Tetris was released June 6, 1984, so it has existed over 6 times as long as Pokemon Go and over 9 times as long as PUBG mobile. The question is whether the average concurrent number of Tetris players since its release is (significantly) higher than about 700,000, which would give it a total playtime of more than 27 million years.

EDIT:
This article from 2014 mentions a paid Tetris mobile app was downloaded 425 million times. Considering the amount of free tetris alternatives, that's probably just the tip of the iceberg. In comparison, PUBG mobile has been downloaded 1,120 million times.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS