What are your favorite PC Puzzle games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we had a thread on this… Please post helpful answers, to help other readers decide if they might like your favs too.

Of course, there are puzzles in many games in different genres. This thread is about games where puzzles are the main focus—so no Minecraft or Fortnite or similar, thanks.

I'll have more later, but two obvious ones to get the ball rolling are Portal and Portal 2.
While they do have platforming-like elements, don't be put off by that. I don't like platform games, but I love the Portals. They are about making your way around discrete levels from Entrance to Exit by shooting holes in the walls, floor, ceiling—the titular portals.

Note: If someone has suggested the game you were going to say, like for instance Tetris, just like the post, no need to comment

Last edited by a moderator:
Tetris is a good one, and has certainly left its mark—Wiki says it's the most ported game ever, available on 65+ platforms.

Its mark includes the 'Tetris Effect'…
…"People … can find themselves thinking about ways different shapes in the real world can fit together, such as the boxes on a supermarket shelf or the buildings on a street"

ETA: hey i just discovered that if you lay cereal boxes flat in a standard cupboard, you can fit two more than usual by laying them in vertically beside the others!
Yes, you can try this at home ;)

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Talos Principle

This is pretty much all spatial puzzles. Shine the laser this way, split it that way, make it turn on the fan over there... It's pretty fun stuff.

Personally, I think there's more than enough content in the base game, there's not much need to get the expansions unless you get to the end and really want more.

Also....

Outer Wilds

The sun is exploding. You'll probably want to do something about that. Unfortunately, it's exploding in about 22 minutes. Lucky for you, every time it does, you get pulled back in time to Boom Time Minus 22, with your memories intact. So you can fly to that planet that's imploding, get killed, then fly to that planet with all the water spouts, get killed, and just keep exploring the solar system. You'll eventually work out (more or less) what is going on and what you can do about it.

Also, I really love the music in this one!

mod edit: correction of Outer Wilds

Last edited by a moderator:
The Incredible Machine
The OG puzzle game for me. I'm pretty sure it still holds up today. The best part is that a lot of puzzles were solvable in multiple ways.
QEy3WV3.jpg

Hex Frvr
Probably the best mobile puzzle game I've played. Similarly to Tetris, the main reason to keep playing is to beat your highscore, and because it's simply satisfying to clear a bunch of rows.
3CsyZOJ.png

Sherlock
This is one of those puzzles where you get a bunch of rules and have to figure out the correct place for each thing.
8xaSVc5.gif

There was another game I thought of, but I forgot what it was.

Talos Principle
Yep, that was going to be my next mention—great game.

If you like Portal, then I recommend…
…which has a similar environment manipulation thing going on. It's well done and not too difficult. It and the Collector's Edition are currently 80-85% off on Steam for another week—go grab it!

The Incredible Machine … Sherlock
Oh yes, loved those two!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS