What are some solid survival games?

Dec 5, 2020
Visit site
I'm looking for games like the Forest, 7 days to die, days and the Long Dark. I just started Deadside and it looks promising. I have Green Hell and Escape from Tarkov but haven't played either yet. I also really want to play Dead Matter but it's in closed alpha or beta which hopefully will end soon (if anyone has any info on that please let me know).
Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

I love survival elements in a game, especially RPGs. Usually, I mod them in, and there are some great ones for Skyrim SE, Fallout New Vegas, and Fallout 4. But that's probably not what you're looking for.

The only recent game that comes to mind is Outward, which I haven't played, but I've read has pretty brutal survival elements. There is also Kenshi, an indie game, that is also pretty brutal. That one looks interesting to me, but I don't really have the time to put into it.

Reactions: Frindis
May 2, 2020
Visit site
If you haven't played it, go out and get Subnautica. Want a challenge, play it on hardcore with permadeath. Really awesome game.

If you want something with a sci-fi bend to it, Space Engineers and Empyrion. ARK is pretty good as well.

I loooooooved Rimworld. More Survival Colony management though. But amazing game.

Kenshi was mentioned above. Also loved that one.

Want something more relaxed with a survival element, Astroneer is good. A couple early access ones I liked, but am now waiting for full release are Raft and Grounded.

I would avoid dead matter like an actual plague until it starts actually demonstrating it can live up to it's promise, it stopped selling for a reason. I was super, super hyped for it and managed to buy in but.... let's just say it hasn't been handled very well so far. I've heard Deadside is pretty good fun, but not too great on the survival aspects. Escape from Tarkov is more shooter-focused than survival, although it is packed with survival elements they are more o f a supplement to the shooting than anything.

Your possibilities really open up a lot more depending on whether you're more strictly looking for 3d or don't mind 2d. Project Zomboid is probably one of the most intense survival games I've played, but it's very slow and the 2d nature tends to turn people off. Kenshi is also a fantastic sandbox survival game, but it's quite different.

Reactions: Frindis
@Zoey79 I would not categorize Cuisine Royale (or CRSED: F.O.A.D. as they call themselves now) as a survival game. At least not in regard to the survival games OP is looking for. It is a battle royale game in a WW1 setting. That said, it is a cool game and highly underrated.