Question What are some of your favorite mods for any game?

We all love modding our games. Mods can enhance an already amazing game, or help fix a broken one. There is a seemingly endless ocean of mods that do everything from skip an annoying intro to adding hair to bald characters.

Among this sea of mods, some of our favorites often get forgotten or lost to time/internet ongoings. It seems that mods don’t get archived and preserved as well as actual games do. This makes sense given just how many mods there are, it would be nearly impossible or at the least very improbable, it’s akin to trying to archive the entirety of YouTube.

With all this being said, I thought it would be fun to share what our favorite mods are regardless of what they are, their function or the game it’s for.

Is there a mod that you grab every time you replay a favorite, a mod that has greatly increased your enjoyment of a game, or a mod that added some hilarious content to the game? No matter what it is, let’s share our favorite mods below!

For me, in all Bethesda games, I absolutely must download a mod to skip the intro. Some do it more uniquely than others, such as Skyrim’s Live Another Life. Rather than a simple skip intro save file, this mod lets you choose your characters background and starting location, and with a simple good nights rest, you suddenly appear out of thin air at the location of your choosing. It cuts down the typically 20-30 minute intro into about 2 minutes which is a godsend for anyone starting a new save file.

If I'm downloading mods, I almost always get at least one inventory mod, like expanding the slots or crafting from chests. Heck, in Satisfactory. I usually bump my inventory from about 30 slots to 1000.

Depending on the game, I may get a "peaceful" mod that gets rid of combat. If the point of the game is to build a factory, then please stop trying to kill me. I'm too busy for that.

Some of my favorite mods correct what I consider developer mistakes, like the Satisfactory mod that unlocks trains and drones from level 2. Without this mod, the trains are okay, but the drones aren't unlocked until the very end. You get very little use out of what is one of the most enjoyable tools the game gives you.

Lastly, I haven't played Minecraft in years, but the Galacticraft mod along with a few other tech mods gave me one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. There have been a lot of full games that have launched in the years after Galacticraft first came out that take parts of this mod for their game.

Vanilla Extended for Rimworld. I love mods that add content to a game that's (almost) indistinguishable from the vanilla game and the Vanilla Extended series lets you pick and choose exactly what you want to add.

Tree Tag and Enfo's for Warcraft III. There's a ton of good mods for Warcraft III, but I think I've played those two the most. Tree Tag is just silly hide-and-seek fun, while Enfo's is a great co-op wave survival.

Also anything that adds common QoL enhancements that seem like they should have just been part of the base game.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Ooooh, good topic! There are so many!
  • The mod who's name I forget that makes Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines really playable as well as restoring lost content, like that spooky hotel. Honorable mentions to Gentlemen of the Row for making Saints Row 2 playable.
  • The Long War mod for XCOM - it's like they added another game! One that was a lot more brutal but still very fun.
  • DDTC mod for X3:Terran Conflict, which added a bunch of ships from science fiction (Star Wars, Firefly, Wing Commander...) as well as a bunch of their own.
  • Alien Total Conversion mod for the original Doom, which showed me just how much mods can really do.
(The topic is 18 hours old and no moderator has made a joke yet for the topic being about them? Are y'all feeling OK? ;))

My two favourite games with mods are Fallout 4 (PC & PlayStation) and Elder Scrolls Online (PC) because they make the games much easier to play and enjoy.
But what are your favorite actual mods?

Despite being a pc gamer for over 20 years i have only ever used 1 mod , it was the 100+ milestones mod for satisfactory. Just over a year ago i used it on my first playthrough when i had run out of things to do , the mod has as much content as the vanilla game so i gave it a try .

Everything was ok until update 7 of the main game was downloaded , when i next launched the game it was unplayable because my mk 7 conveyors from the mod pack all vanished so none of my machines were connected , the extra production lines etc from the pack also vanished.

I made comment about this in the steam forum and stupidly got drawn into a slanging match that got me banned from their steam forum .

I got the same response from the satisfactory q & a webpage but i did not take the bait , it seems like using the word mod promotes a reason to dish out abuse such as ...... this is vanilla comments only you dont belong here .... or .... ha ha ha you should have know your mod would cause the game to be trashed when the main game got updated......

well guess what i did not know that could happen , i have since done another playthrough and run out of things to do but no more mods for me.

no moderator has made a joke yet for the topic being about them?

Okay, okay—I'm saddened nobody has picked me for Far Cry. Happy now?

Civilization 4

BAT/BUG/BULL mod 'pack'
This evolved over many years, probably over a decade, and is a large suite of UI enhancements which take much of tedium out of info checking. I would've stopped playing Civ4 ~15 years ago without it.

Full of Resources Map
This is a great map script which repays the bit of mind-bending and experimentation required to set it all up how you like it. For me, a significant part of the almost endless variation you can have in Civ games.

Civilization 6

Hillier Hills
What it says on the tin. I had difficulty discerning hills from flat in Civ6, this graphical mod cures that.

Auto Record Goody Huts
I like to see what I got from a goody hut, this shows it.

Map Tacks
I can't find the one I use quickly, there seem to be a few on this theme. Mine allows me to place a selectable icon on any hex, I use it mainly for recording goody huts and Barb camps I want to come back to later.

I have ~20 mods installed altogether, I went with Spud's UI Recommendations to begin with and haven't delved into it since.

Far Cry

FCModding.com
For all FC games from 3 on, these guys have a pack mod which you install for each of the games. They are excellent and include the likes of Resistance for FC5, Scavenger for New Dawn etc. Each includes dozens of things you can tweak to get the game you want to replay.

Where to get Mods

Worthwhile for those new to the mod scene, the main ones—first 3—and a few others I tripped over but haven't used or tested, apart from FC and Civ:
Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
ModDB
Bethesda Games
AFK Mods
Photomode Mods
Far Cry
Civ Fanatics

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024
Visit site
We all love modding our games. Mods can enhance an already amazing game, or help fix a broken one. There is a seemingly endless ocean of mods that do everything from skip an annoying intro to adding hair to bald characters.

Among this sea of mods, some of our favorites often get forgotten or lost to time/internet ongoings. It seems that mods don’t get archived and preserved as well as actual games do. This makes sense given just how many mods there are, it would be nearly impossible or at the least very improbable, it’s akin to trying to archive the entirety of YouTube.

With all this being said, I thought it would be fun to share what our favorite mods are regardless of what they are, their function or the game it’s for.

Is there a mod that you grab every time you replay a favorite, a mod that has greatly increased your enjoyment of a game, or a mod that added some hilarious content to the game? No matter what it is, let’s share our favorite mods below!
Absolutely, mods add a whole new dimension to gaming. One of my all-time favorites is the "SkyUI" mod for Skyrim. It overhauls the game's user interface, making it much more intuitive and enjoyable to navigate. It's a game-changer for immersion and ease of use.

Brutal doom. Doom 2 combat whilst function could feel dated at times and brutal doom upgrades it with various QOL, localised damage, revitalized monsters and some much needed gore to make it the violent game that we all pretended doom was back in 1993. On top of that it spawned off its own line of mods like project brutality and even its own mega wad.

of course it can make some of the wads a walk in the park so i still play it in classic mode by default, but playing a wad dedicated\tailored for brutal doom is damn satisfying.

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
Absolutely, mods add a whole new dimension to gaming. One of my all-time favorites is the "SkyUI" mod for Skyrim. It overhauls the game's user interface, making it much more intuitive and enjoyable to navigate. It's a game-changer for immersion and ease of use.
SkyUI is great and so is Live Another Life, as mentioned upthread. The Skyrim mod that keeps me going back to it is Legacy of the Dragonborn, which makes you curator of a museum you can store items in. All the artifacts that seem too important to sell but not useful enough to use get a home, and hunting down the sidequests to collect all of them lets you slowly fill up a trophy hall dedicated to your achievements.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts