Weekend Question: What's the longest you've had to wait for a sequel?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: What's the longest you've had to wait for a sequel?

I'd given up hope of ever seeing a resolution to the cliffhanger ending of Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, yet a decade later out of the blue Space Marine 2 was announced. (And is apparently coming "soon".) Meanwhile, poor old Psychonauts-likers had to wait 16 years for Psychonauts 2. Return to Monkey Island is due out later in 2022, a mere 13 years after Tales of Monkey Island—though technically it's continuing on from the ending of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, which would put the gap closer to 26 years. Wasteland 2 has it equalled without need for a technicality, coming out a full 26 years and eight months after Wasteland. Which series kept you hanging the longest?

Reactions: Pifanjr and Zloth
12 years?
Diablo 2 - 29 June 2000
Diablo 3 - 15 May 2012

Problem waiting that long is the chance of the next one being as good as the previous one starts to enter DNF territory. Its a shame the initials don't really stand for Did Not Finish.

This! Definitely this.. I remember it being announced and feeling incredibly excited. I went to a Gadget Convention and they had a Alpha version of D3 available to try and it was almost worth the wait lol.

Reactions: Sarafan
The most I have ever waited was roughly 1,5 years. After playing GTA 3 back in the good old days, I had a loooooooong spring waiting for GTA Vice City to release on PC in the spring of '03. I was reading everything I could get my hands on about the game, which obviously did not help ease the pain. Best GTA game in my eyes, so well worth the wait.

Well, I don't have an exact number of years, as the sequels I want the most haven't been released yet, though all of them are presumably in some form of development. Listed by number of years that I've been waiting so far:

1- Elder Scrolls 6; last game was ES5 Skyrim released in 2011. Wait time 11 years & counting.

2- Dragon Age 4; last game DA3 Inquisition released in 2014. Wait time 8 years & counting.

3-Fallout 5; last game Fallout 4 released in 2015 (I don't consider FO76 a continuation of the series, as it was Bethesda's attempt at an MMO-style Fallout, not a single player game). Wait time 7 years & counting.

4- Mass Effect 4; last game in series was ME Andromeda released in 2017. Wait time 5 years & counting.

I imagine Fallout 5 will be the eventual winner in terms of time waited between sequels, but there's too many variables that could occur in the coming years of production for any of these games. It feels like I've been waiting half my life for these sequels.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
Hard to believe, but it's almost 22 years and... I'm still waiting! Baldur's Gate 2 was released on September 2000 and although the sequel was announced by Larian (and they released the Early Access version), they're still working on the game. Full game is supposed to be released sometime in 2023, so we'll probably get closer to 23 years. It's still not as much as in the Wasteland 2 case, but in gaming it's a whole era. This reminds me how far ahead of its time was Baldur's Gate 2. While the graphics are not that impressive anymore (although handmade backgrounds age very slowly), the gameplay is still on top. I wish that I can say something similar about BG3 after the next 22 years.

Mass Effect 4. I've been waiting for a good Mass Effect game since 2013. There's a rumor that the new Mass Effect game will be released next year, eagerly waiting for that.

Mass Effect: Andromeda left such a bad taste in my mouth that I almost gave up on this series. But last year got a chance to play through the original trilogy in the Legendary Edition and I fell in love again. This series really deserves a good follow up. Please don't mess it up, Bioware.

TRENDING THREADS