Weekend Question: How do you hold a controller?

PCG Jody

Staff member
Dec 9, 2019
Visit site
I ask the PCG staff a regular Weekend Question and post the answers on the site. If you'd like to throw in an answer here, I'll squeeze the best into the finished article!

This week's question is: How do you hold a controller? If you use one, of course. Are you a straightforward "thumbs on the sticks, forefingers on the bumpers"-type, or have you mastered The Claw? If you aren't familiar with it, The Claw is top-left in this image. The bottom-right one is a joke, but all the others are genuine ways real humans play videogames.

I've always used the straightforward controller method. Part of the reason is that i have an xbox360 controller. Admittedly i haven't tried the other grips with it probably because I've not needed to. Put me in front of a beat-em-up or a competitive environment and i might change my tune very quickly.

Last edited:
When gaming, I tend to use two controllers simultaneously. Both lay flat on my desk. One is static (partly because it is very long) and I tap the buttons with my left hand. The other is mobile and I guide it with my right hand, pressing its buttons with my fingers.

A major advantage of my controller set-up is that it is easy to use them for non-gaming purposes too. For example, for sending text I can just use the left controller, pressing the buttons with the fingers of both hands to speed up my inputs. And for many other computing purposes I can just use the right controller, leaving one hand free to grab a drink or a sandwich.

Reactions: IndecentLouie
May 16, 2020
Visit site
I let my 9 Yr old use it for roblox cos that's a worthy use for one, pointless question really when most fps games have this stupid aim assist, then console players wonder why idiots on pc cheat its obvious that giving someone an unfair advantage is gonna not sit easy in the community cross play is a bad thing whilst you can't make it an equal playing field.

May 17, 2020
Visit site
Entirely depends on the game for me, most games I use the "normal" thumb's on sticks fingers resting on the triggers. The claw however works better for games like Dark Souls, where sprint is mapped to "O, or B" having that finger held on sprint and using the thumb to move the camera really helps.

May 15, 2020
Visit site
I use the "Claw" maneuver to multi-task between clicking the 4 letter buttons and moving my aim for the right stick. And I guess a little bit of the claw on the left sick when I'm tryna click on the D-Pad while driving or flying a vehicle.

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Classic controller grip. Always preferred the Xbox controller. However, I rest my hands on the mousemat while using the controller. Makes it easy to switch to mouse + keyboard and back.

May 28, 2020
Visit site
I play ps4 but i shoot with the bumpers instead of the triggers so I keep my thumbs on the joysticks and have my index fingers on the bumpers and middle fingers on the triggers.

it comes in handy when playing cod

TRENDING THREADS