Warcry is a great game

Mknott

Staff member
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
A long while back I promised myself I wouldn't get into Warhammer. It's too dangerous for my wallet and overall sanity, but that was before I discovered Warcry which is a pretty sweet skirmish game using Age of Sigmar models and a whole bunch of unique stuff.

It's super fast and easy to learn - generally it's way more cinematic than the multiple dice rolls in the main game. Want to take a running jump off a high wall and slam a giant sword into the back of the enemy leader, dismember him and in a gore-fueled rampage lay into the poor fools around you? You can definitely do that, it's a core part of the rules.

Games take like an hour or so and don't take up your whole table and you'll be using around 10 or so models that you can really make individual. They're also gorgeous to look at and a pleasure to paint - the terrain it comes with is also amazing. Definitely worth giving a go if you have that Warhammer itch but don't want to commit to the full game. Has anyone else tried it out or given it a whirl?

Here's some of the models I've put together for it and a few pictures of it on the table. Excuse the dust, I'm in the middle of basing everything!

Ks70pMB.jpg

xgZ6IZ3.jpg

Mvsr8yi.jpg

EDN27td.jpg

That looks gorgeous. If I ever get disposable income I'd love to get into collecting miniatures (as would my wife), but it's not something I'll be able to do anytime soon. My wife would actually love to get a proper Fantasy Warhammer collection. I myself haven't had a chance to play any miniature war games, the closest I've gotten is playing D&D or The Legend of Drizzt board game. I've been wanting to try out Frostgrave for a while, as it seems a good entry point, but I haven't been able to actually get my wife and friend(s) to try it out yet.

We did recently buy TableTop Simulator though, so maybe we can finally try some games in there. I've already read the Star Wars X-Wing and Armada rule books (X-Wing is another favourite of my wife).

Mknott

Staff member
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
That looks gorgeous. If I ever get disposable income I'd love to get into collecting miniatures (as would my wife), but it's not something I'll be able to do anytime soon. My wife would actually love to get a proper Fantasy Warhammer collection. I myself haven't had a chance to play any miniature war games, the closest I've gotten is playing D&D or The Legend of Drizzt board game. I've been wanting to try out Frostgrave for a while, as it seems a good entry point, but I haven't been able to actually get my wife and friend(s) to try it out yet.

We did recently buy TableTop Simulator though, so maybe we can finally try some games in there. I've already read the Star Wars X-Wing and Armada rule books (X-Wing is another favourite of my wife).

Thanks for the compliment! Took a whole lot of lockdown painting, but it was time well spent.

I'd definitely recommend Warcry as a place to start in terms of the Age of Sigmar stuff down the line, it's relatively inexpensive as far as the hobby goes and Catacombs is a great starter set. The benefit is you can put as much or as little into it as you want. I play it with my partner and we've fallen down a very deep hole.

X-Wing is a great game and Tabletop simulator has a great version. I placed second in an Armada tournament* a few years back, used to love the game but had to make space and I sold my collection off.

*There were only 8 entrants.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS