Visit site
Current build:
Board: Lenova 0958B2U
CPU: i5-3470
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 570

Intended upgrade:
CPU: i7-3770
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 or 1660

I know 1060 is not much of a change but going from a 4GB to 6GB would make a world of difference since I have so many crashing issues with my current AMD.
Question is, does the steppings between CPU upgrades matter? Or do you think I can just plug and play these upgrades? Also if you have better suggestions I'm open to it. Just trying to do fairly cheap upgrade until I have the funds to replace entire pc.

Jun 14, 2020
Visit site
Hello, both CPUs listed have the same socket (LGA1155), so the replacement would be instant, you wouldn't need another motherboard. However, I don't really recommend the CPU upgrade since they both are pretty old ones. If you do decide to upgrade the CPU, I think one that's a few generations ahead would be a lot better, but then you also need a new motherboard (only if the CPU requires another socket). About the GPU, I don't really recommend anyone to upgrade now due to the very high prices (COVID, the mining issues etc...). You'd be better off buying a pre-built right now. ***Honestly if I would be you, I would save the money to buy/replace the PC parts, or wait until the prices are lower.***

Jul 7, 2021
Visit site
Hello, both CPUs listed have the same socket (LGA1155), so the replacement would be instant, you wouldn't need another motherboard. However, I don't really recommend the CPU upgrade since they both are pretty old ones. If you do decide to upgrade the CPU, I think one that's a few generations ahead would be a lot better, but then you also need a new motherboard (only if the CPU requires another socket). About the GPU, I don't really recommend anyone to upgrade now due to the very high prices (COVID, the mining issues etc...). You'd be better off buying a pre-built right now. ***Honestly if I would be you, I would save the money to buy/replace the PC parts, or wait until the prices are lower.***
From my research I've found it looks like that is the best performing CPU for my motherboard because it is an older board. I used a few different sources and Intels website to see compatible CPUs and that is the best one I can use, unless I clicked wrong at some point and there are others. But the specs are a significant improvement for less than $100. And I agree, my intention is to upgrade whole PC but like you said prices are crazy, so I'm trying to find a cheap upgrade that will make a difference. I don't like AMD GPU because the constant crashing issues I'm having. Even when I'm not running anything it will have a random GPU error and reset PC. But if I'm gonna replace the board, CPU, and GPU at that point it wouldn't be much more to replace entire PC.

Reactions: sc0p3

TRENDING THREADS