Upgrade or build new?

Oct 14, 2024
Visit site
Long first entry post to start my official journey to learning more in depth within the PC community!

If this is posted in the wrong thread, please let me know!

Good evening!

LOOONG time console owner most of my life turned strictly PC gamer for the last 5+ years. My love for PC gaming came from the days of the 1999 unreal tournament game that I would play for hours at a time as a kid. Growing up, I never had the (ADULT) money I do now to keep that love going. So, the hiatus of PC gaming left me for years and consoles took my passion to the next step. Years later I finally was able to afford my first Pre-built computer from IBP (I buy power). I will try and give the entire specs of my build later in this thread! A bigger monster to tame and man has it been a ride to understand the basics of how PC's operate and to care for them. Now, the time has come for me to branch out into forums and communities to learn more and to have the courage to be more in depth with basic systems at work to my Gaming set up at home! I want to be at the level of knowledge for PC's like I am with diagnosing vehicles at my job! I'm not trying to make it seem like I need my hand being held with learning the PC world, just more advice from experienced people and where to find the reliable places to look for information. That has been my biggest crutch on this specific topic as of late. I watch a lot of youtubers in my busy day to day schedule when I can to grasp what little information that could push me further. Now, with just simple googling a issue or fix. That's a needle in the haystack for me. Lots of back and forth, issues that happened years ago that I would get in todays time that has changed in wording especially with windows lol. I'm for trial and error, I'm just not for going too deep in a rabbit hole where it would brick my PC and I don't have a backup option. I could go on forever so, I'm just going to leave it at that for the time being!

Looking forward to learning from everyone and reading what I can here!

PC specs:
Intel Core i7-8700k @3.70Ghz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070ti MSI AERO
ROG MAXIMUS HERO (WI-FI AC)
DDR4
NZXT watercooler
850w gold thermaltake
32gb ram (corsair)
Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB

Pretty sure i'm missing some things but that's the jist of the build

Main monitor: Acer Predator 2560x1440 at 165Hz
second monitor: Basic Acer 1920x1080

Keyboard: Ducky One 3 Cosmic blue

Mouse: Logitech G502

I know I have WAY too much ram for the build, rest assure i have done some tweaking, so my computer isn't crashing. I got a super good deal on them for future upgrades! I have adjusted some things using the heaven benchmark app.

with how gaming is heading, my specs are showing their age. I'm currently deciding if i should upgrade some pieces or just start from scratch. Leaning towards just upgrading everything. some games i play are having frame dips consistently which is frustrating to say the least. I've looked into a few things but still haven't fixed it. With my old spectrum i was getting a solid 800+ down and 800+ up so, i don't think that was the issue. Good pings to the servers, just frame dips like crazy. Not running high settings on any of my games to prevent said things. Swapped DP cables, nothing. Did in fact have to swap my old ethernet cable out. fixed internet drops out of random though. Have read on here that cleaning out the ports will help, will be doing that step soon.

Upgraded to GF 2gb plan, Trying to find where my pc will get up to those levels of speed. Still runs around the 800+ up and down. Thinking i need a upgraded the ethernet cable to support those speeds or my equipment is letting me down. The GF did tell me about how something on the motherboard can prevent reaching those speeds. Can't remember what he said specifically what it was. A lot of variables come to play with my current situations that need to be ironed out.

Anyway, i do apologize for the long read. Wanted to make a decent entrance here into the community!

Looking forward to talking with everyone and picking everyones brains!

thanks,
CrazyKenz

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity from "Lurker posting for the first time!".]

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum—since you're already Crazy, you've got a good head start on most new posters :)

simple googling a issue or fix … issues that happened years ago

Probably not what you're saying—but if getting confused by ancient results in your searches, use the 'Time' function in the search menu to limit them… I usually use 'A year' for most of my searches, shorter can knock out too many useful sites.

my specs are showing their age

Yes indeed, your PC is only slightly better than my 2017 museum piece :rolleyes:

I'm moving your thread to the Hardware section where our gurus will see it, so prepare for some good advice :)

My guess is they'll advise starting from scratch with a new build, your motherboard is likely to be too old to support much of an upgrade.

The experts will want to know…
Budget
Country & currency
Desired playing resolution and frame rate
Some example games you want to play
Any preferred local or online retailers

Best of luck with it all!

Reactions: Why_Me
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is the make and model of your case?
850w gold thermaltake
Take a picture of the stickered side of the PSU, it should help us identify what unit you have at this moment of time.

some games i play are having frame dips consistently which is frustrating to say the least.
What games are you currently taxing the system with?

What sort of a budget do you have allocated towards your upgrade path? If you did the math on paper, performing upgrades on your current platform might net some results but the amount spent would be near that of rebuilding from the ground up in 2024, with concurrent parts.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS