Question Trying to build a 1000$ PC gamer !

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hello everybody ! My name is Adrián, 20 years old and I live in Switzerland ! I bought my first PC gamer in 2014 and it’s still giving me good performances in some games today. The thing is that it’s quite old and it’s time to get me something new.

I’m a big noob when I have to build a PC and I understand nothing so I would like some help please :) !

Approximate purchase date: I have a new job and make a lot of money and that’s why I’m thinking about buying a new PC in the next 1-2 months

Budget range: Something around 1000 CHF would be nice ! (~1000 $). It can go a little bit higher if needed (or lower)

What will your machine be used for?: I would like a PC mostly for gaming at home. Something big that stays in my bedroom and that I can use for gaming on big games ! I also want an VR set in the next months that I could use with my new PC. I also sometimes do some edit of gopro footages of my holidays so it would be good if I can do some video montage/edit :p

Are you buying a monitor?: Yes I would like to buy a new monitor, not very expensive but quality ;) 4K is too expensive I guess and something big could be nice but the monitor is not so important I already have 2 that satisfies me.

Aditionnal comments: I don’t really know more about my new pc since I understand nothing at all :/ .. I dont really understand what is overclock and if I should have one, or which parts should I buy, SLI or not ? I just know that I want to build myself something new part by part and that will let me play big games with high quality and in VR for the next years. Like my old PC Gamer ! I know it’s hard to build a PC but my father can help me like he did in 2014. I want to feel this feeling I felt 6 years ago with my new PC that I build and that will make me happy playing with friends :D I already have a mouse and keyboard and headset so it’s just the pc build !

I hope I gave as much details as I could and that something can come out of my post :d

Thank you for your time and have a nice weekend!
and stay strong with this virus ! See you !!

Reactions: Zoid and Oussebon
What is the full spec of your current system?

You may be able to reuse some parts

If you don't know you can always upload a screenshot of what Speccy says to a website like Imgur and link it here. And also tell us the power supply and case models, because Speccy can't see that.

What VR kit will you be using, and what VR games do you hope to play?

What is the budget for the monitor, approximately?

Reactions: Nadrig and SWard
May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hello Ousswbon, thank you for your fast answer !

My current system will be given for my friend so she can play video games with me so nothing will be re utilised, only new !

The VR set that I will be using is unknown yet, but one that doesnt cost more than 600$. The games that I will play with it are The Forest, Skyrim, Subnautica, half life alyx and more !

The monitor price isnt included in the PC gamer that I want to buy, so 200$ is good enough I think ? But I will buy it later after my pc because I already have monitors good enough for the moment I think.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hello ! I’ve made some research about which VR kit to buy and i’ve been struggling which one to choose between the oculus rift S and the oculus quest with the cable.

They are both good but I can’t decide which one will be better for my new PC.

This is also tricky as Switzerland is not on PCPartpicker I think, and I don't know mainland European websites well enough to know which ship to Switzerland / postage costs etc. So I used toppreise.ch.

Perhaps this, at least as a starting point:

Half Life Alyx apparently does perform a little better on equivalent Nvidia GPUs (i.e. where 2 GPUs perform the same on average, this title favours the Nvidia one), going by what I read on PCG and babeltech, though I don't know if driver updates will have changed that. But this might be a case for spending more on the - also slightly more powerful - RTX 2070 Super

Instead of the better value RX 5700 XT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoid

MangoPop

BANNED
Apr 13, 2020
Visit site
next time, try this first (you'll get way more replies)

next time, try this first (you'll get way more replies)

Err, read their post. That's literally the format the used to ask for help :)

Reactions: Zoid

Zoid

Community Contributor
Yeah @Nadrig, props to you for being one of the rare folks who actually does use the format. It's super helpful!

@Oussebon has some good suggestions to get you going in the right direction, so I'll wait to hear your response to those, but in the meantime I can address some other parts of your post.
what is overclock and if I should have one
Overclocking means running your CPU or GPU (or RAM I suppose) at higher than standard clock speeds. You can think of it like tuning up your car's engine to make more power. Pushing higher clock speeds means feeding the component more voltage, which also generates more heat, so people who overclock need to make sure they have adequate cooling for their components. You also need to balance stability, since higher clock speeds can be unstable and cause your system to crash.

Overclocking can be a fun thing to try, since it can get you a little bit of extra performance for free, but there's nothing to say you should OC. In fact, with some CPUs it can actually be smarter not to OC. Modern CPUs can essentially overclock themselves automatically when extra performance is needed, and sometimes the OC you're able to achieve can actually be lower than the factory boost clock.

Very long-winded way of saying: play around with overclocking if you want, but you don't need to
SLI or not ?
Not. Multiple GPU setups have really niche applications. Many games don't even have proper support for multi-GPU scaling, and in those that do the benefits are not going to be worth the cost of a whole second GPU. It is always more effective to buy a more powerful single GPU than to string two less powerful ones together.
I know it’s hard to build a PC but my father can help me like he did in 2014. I want to feel this feeling I felt 6 years ago with my new PC that I build and that will make me happy playing with friends I already have a mouse and keyboard and headset so it’s just the pc build !
This is awesome. Building a PC together with a friend or family member can be a fantastic bonding experience and it's great that you'll get to do that again this time! :)

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Hello everybody ! I wish I could have replied as fast as you guys did for me but I had a busy week working sorry :/

In the meantime I looked more in depth at Oussebon’s config and I love it ! As you said it I think I will also go for the 2070 RTX SUPER ! I will try to give you guys more info once I build it and saw how well it works :D

And yes I tried to use the format as much as I could so thank you ^^

And thank you Zoid too for answering some questions I had ! I think I won’t OC my pc and instead go for better upgrades like a new quality micro or something else in the future !
And yeah I can’t wait to build this new PC :D !!!

Thank you guys again <3

Zoid

Community Contributor
Hello everybody ! I wish I could have replied as fast as you guys did for me but I had a busy week working sorry :/

In the meantime I looked more in depth at Oussebon’s config and I love it ! As you said it I think I will also go for the 2070 RTX SUPER ! I will try to give you guys more info once I build it and saw how well it works

And yes I tried to use the format as much as I could so thank you ^^

And thank you Zoid too for answering some questions I had ! I think I won’t OC my pc and instead go for better upgrades like a new quality micro or something else in the future !
And yeah I can’t wait to build this new PC !!!

Thank you guys again <3
We'd love to hear updates (and see pictures if you're willing to share) of the build process and final result! Best of luck!

Reactions: Oussebon

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts