The book discussion thread

Page 7 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Just a slight detour, i thought this PCG article will be more fitting here then in the general discussions topic.

I haven't read ALL the books, but it comes pretty close. I might have missed maybe 2 or 3 because i could source them or they didn't excite me and tbh they were story detours that added nothing to the main story. i am reading the siege of terra series and almost finished part 2 of the end and the death so will be writing my relevant comments here.

Yes it has been a really extensive series and not all of it is entirely relevant, you can miss out big chunks and still piece together the main stories as some link stories, characters and events together throughout the entire series. I feel there might be maybe a few more books after the siege of terra, like the retribution and the traitors being chased into the warp and/or the fracturing of the traitor legions into roaming warbands. We still haven't completely seen the outcome of the traitor homeworlds, although there wouldn't be any surprises there (they are exterminated and blown to pieces). Plus we have the story with Roboute Guilliman and Rogal Dorn with the codex astartes or Dorn with the iron cage incident. Who knows? maybe part 3 goes through that part of the history somewhere.

So thats the end and the death Volume 2 of the siege of terra finished. VOL 2 continues the final battle pulling all the surviving characters and stories together during the end times as humanity's demise approaches. We do have some key pivotal story elements such as sanguninus's final confrontation with Horus (if you know your WH40k lore you know the outcome) but also a few plot twists and setting the final battle with Horus himself. its a good read even if the story doesn't really go anywhere.

The other book i've been reading is more a graphic novel series, The wrong earth. The premise is simple enough; what happens when two super heroes swap worlds? Think if adam west's batman swapped with Tim burton's batman. Cue hijinks as the Dragonflymen bring their own brand of justice into world's polar opposites to what is good and what justice means. For earth: omega the city and political system is corrupt and death is a means to an end. meanwhile earth:alpha the city is a fairy tale as the villain's are buffoons and its all good fun.

its an interesting read as each dragonflyman tries to adapt and for Dragonflyman in Earth : omega, its a time to reflect on his past, his methods and to atone for his mistakes (spoilers: he is not a nice person). meanwhile Dragonfly man in Earth:Alpha tries to bring some much needed compassion and try to rebuild his reputation with local law enforcement who want him dead.

Volume 2 carries on a year later with both heroes having adapted to the new world, dispensing justice and making an impact on their respective worlds. At the same time, they try to investigate the mystery behind the mirror portals. What are the mirror portals? Who built them and what are their purpose? An even bigger arc is when both dragonflyman finally meet each other and discuss each other's methods and actions over the past year.

Volume 3 is more a continuation of the story with a few spin off background stories from each earth and some of the story arc at the end of volume 2. When both super heroes and their companions disappear all hell breaks loose as super criminals rule the streets...

Overall a good read. Looking forward to Volume 4.

Last edited:
And so... i've finished reading HH: Siege of terra book 8: the end and the death part 3. we conclude the book the end and the death as all the characters come together to aid the emperor in his final battle against horus. Rather then being one single battle, the book goes into the various other areas of the siege to engage the scope and also the scale and how pivotal the final battle between the emperor and Horus was. interestingly, the story was written in different styles depending on the character. Second person for horus, malcador was first person and the bits with the corswain of the dark angels uses more classic literature words and phrases as befitting on a knight based chapter.

Whilst the book does end satisfactory, it does leave a lot of unanswered questions and it was intentional as namely GW wanted the lore/story to remain mysterious (ie open ended and allow for space/scope for other content).

But yeah, the Horus Heresy series is done. it started back in 2006 and it ends in 2024. No more books in the series apparently. So what next? well maybe i'll go back to some non Warhammer content and catch up on some classic lit and see what happens.

Speaking of classic lit, the other thing i have been reading was the graphic novel the battle. published by 9th cinebook. based on the novel by Patrick Rambaud; illustrated by Ivan Gil, you might remember i mentioned the book berezina, well this was the other book. Essentially it takes place during the battle of Essling, napoleon having taken vienna prepares to cross the danube and do battle with Austria once more around Essling. If i recall correctly, its was an incredibly bloody affair and was the location of Napoleon's first ever defeat. Wasn't disastrous compared to his later battles, but its the turning point where his strategies were less imagaintive and would become more bloody. Plus having been beaten once it revitalizes France's enemies seeing that he could be beaten and opting to resist instead.

Again a pretty good book. I found it interesting and the artwork made the whole story engaging and exciting. I've found myself flicking through the 3 volumes reading through it and starting at the wonderful artwork.

just a quick short story to add to the list: This time its Harlan Ellison's i have no mouth and i must scream.

i can't really go in to the story details as its incredibly short. it appears to be a cautionary tale of man and machines. its not particularly indepth or compelling tbh. it just seems like a machine torturing the last 5 people on earth to vent its anger. i had high expectations and i was left disappointed.

TRENDING THREADS