Question stuttering in all my games

Nov 18, 2020
Visit site
i am very new to pc gaming so i know very little if anything about it my pc specs are
CPU-i5 3470
GPU-nvedia gtx 1070
8gb memory
2HDD had drives 1 of witch runs my windows stuff and is constantly on 100% no matter what its doing (i have an ssd but haven't installed windows onto it yet)
now the problem i am having is no matter what game i play i get stuttering or freezes whatever there called that can last from a couple of second to 5 minutes and i have no idea what is causing it and was wondering if anyone could help all of my drivers are up to date as far as i know. i get about 30minutes to 1 hour before the stuttering starts and i really want the issue fixed so that i can actually enjoy my games. anyone know what could be causing it and how to fix it?

Sounds to me like your hard drive is on the way out. Hard to say for sure. If it was me I'd be backing that drive up and putting my OS and games on the SSD and see if that helped. You should be doing that anyway, you'll be amazed at the difference.

If that doesnt work, as you get half an hour out of it, could also be a temperature issue. Are you monitoring CPU and GPU temps? Could be CPU or GPU throttling to keep cool and prevent damage. Theres plenty of programs that measure temps, I use GPUZ and RealTemp, you can Google for those.

3xxx CPU's will work up until 100C IIRC without throttling, but they should really be kept under 80c and that shouldnt be hard even with a stock cooler. Your GPU should be under 94C as per specs, but I'd keep it under 80 by setting up a fan curve.

If you are overheating you might just need to dust out your case and heatsinks with an airduster. If youre still getting high CPU temps after that it might be that the thermal paste has dried up. Its easy to replace, just get any brand name paste from a PC store and look at some Youtube vids, theres plenty.

Hopefully something there helps.

Reactions: Brian Boru
1. Windowed Mode
Something I've found to help game glitches is to switch from full-screen mode to windowed mode. In many games, pressing Alt+Enter toggles between the two.

If Alt+Enter doesn't work, then look in the Graphics section of the game's Options menu.

There are often 2 other modes available: Borderless Window Mode and Fullscreen Windowed Mode. Try whichever you prefer, in short:

Windowed: just like other apps.
Borderless: window, full-screen or not.
Fullscreen Windowed: like any maximized app.
Fullscreen default: games usually start this way.

2. Task Manager Startup
Press the Windows key and type 'ta', click on Task Manager in the list and let it run while you play a game. When the problem happens, look at the CPU and Memory columns in the Processes tab—do any of them stay near 100% for a while?

Click on the Startup tab. Sort it by the Status column, we're interested in the 'Enabled' apps—these are the apps which start when you turn on your PC. If there are any enabled ones you don't recognize, right-click on it and click 'Disable'—don't worry, you can re-enable any one you actually need in the same way.

Software has a nasty habit of inserting itself in the Windows Startup process, even though there's no need for it to be started until you need it—Task Manager Startup is always a good place to check when your PC starts to slow down, especially slower boot.

3. Event Viewer
Assuming WIndows 10 OS, press the Windows key and type Event Viewer—typing "ev" should be enough to have it show up at the top of the list. Click on it and expand the Windows Logs and click on 'Application', look for any red-marked errors around the time the last freeze happened.

If you see any click on it and copy the error code—it looks something like
"Exception code: 0xe0434352"
You can search for that, or paste it here and we'll take a look.
Also useful is the 'Event ID', it's typically a 4/5-digit number.

Repeat for 'System' in the Windows Logs.

There are thousands of entries in Event Viewer, so focus on the time the freeze happened.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
2HDD had drives 1 of witch runs my windows stuff and is constantly on 100% no matter what its doing
I missed that first time. It sounds like the HD is swapping data frequently with RAM, via what's called a 'swap file'. You should have enough RAM, so do you have some other memory-hungry programs running while you're gaming? If so, close them down so your PC's resources can focus on your game. Browsers with lots of tabs open are a typical memory hog, especially Chrome and Firefox.

If that's not it, it might be Windows indexing—which you can turn off, especially if you don't use Windows search much—or maybe some syncing operations with other devices or the cloud. But the 'swapping' is more likely.
putting my OS and games on the SSD
Absolutely. It makes such a difference I got a second 1TB SSD solely for games—my OS and software are on a 256GB SSD. That makes it faster & less space-hoggy to "image" my system drive before Microsoft's monthly updates—@drdarlekzzz, that's something you should do in addition to a normal backup, since backup can't preserve your OS & programs, check out Macrium Reflect.

If you are overheating you might just need to dust out your case and heatsinks
Very true. Heat is the enemy of hardware, and should always be suspected when weird glitches occur.

TRENDING THREADS