Steam Summer Sale

Jun 15, 2021
Visit site
The sale’s up and it’s pretty big. It's gonna last until 8th of July. I’m curious what people are excited about! I shortened my wishlist by 2 titles for now: Pumpkin Jack and Jump Force.

Remember to be smart and compare the prices. You can do it on GG.Deals and can check for historical lows here. They use “deal rating” so it shows the best price on top.

So, what did you buy?

Nothing yet. the usual tempting deals are there but the real highlight? Sekiro is at its cheapest at 24.99. seriously tempted by this as it rarely drops in price. But that said, something i've always try to remember: if it can drop to that price once, it can happen again and it can go lower.

So resist or buy? Not sure. I have a bulging collection of games, but some of those deals are tempting. I suppose i'll sleep on it today and see how i feel tomorrow.

Going with this you could wait forever. I'd say go ahead, no point in waiting.

true, i could be waiting till it verges to abandonware. But atm several things are a factor:

1. I have a huge backlog that keeps growing. maybe i should finish a couple more before i play/get the next one.

2. I buy a game now and don't play it immediately. Sometimes its months or even years. By that time the game has dropped to an even cheaper price if i held out that bit longer. That difference may be different, but it all adds up. i might have bought another indie game i wanted or i could have spent that money buying a bag of sweets or snacks etc. Too often i've been burnt trying it.

its not that i don't have the money to spare, hell i could go and buy them upon release if i wanted to. Some say i'm tight fisted, i like to think that i'm careful/savy with my money. Just because i can doesn't mean you should. Some offers keep coming back each time with the same discount so i can wait on them. the problems really begin on those that rarely discount. In this case Sekiro, even now its rare that will see a discount like that again and i've waited several years already for this moment. Sometimes i do bite the bullet and try, but sods law it might drop in price.

IF
You will play it before Christmas
THEN
Go for it
ELSE
Wait for the next sale (Autumn, Halloween, Christmas, Spanish Inquisition Midweek Madness, etc.)

this kinda sums up my thoughts atm. but man... some real tasty offers atm...

Reactions: Pifanjr
Jun 13, 2021
Visit site
At some point I stopped buying games on steam sales, because when I installed them (in 99% cases after two weeks) - I didn't found half of them interesting for me and was not able to refund.

@Zloth Since you might have missed the Epic freebie that @Brian Boru pointed out, I would highly recommend getting the Xbox Game pass. Right now it is like 1 USD for 3months and you will be able to play Control, not to mention the upcoming Psychonauts 2 and Forza Horizon 5 (to mention some of my anticipated ones) within the sub-period.

@Johnway Definitely looking at Sekiro. Since Activision is part of the whole shebang, you most likely will not see it drop further in price for a loong, looong time :p

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
I don't touch Epic. Not even for free stuff. Paying to get exclusives in your store really annoys me.

I don't think Game Pass would quite work out for me. It certainly would at $1/month but at $10? There are lots of games I want on that system, but there's also plenty I want that aren't. Those long games I like that take months to get through are actually cheaper to flat out pay for, too.

GamePass is pretty close, though! Even if I don't touch their system for a month or two out of the year, I could still come out ahead - especially if I get a batch of quick games or games I don't end up liking much.

I got thru my summer sale emails from Steam & GOG today, and my only purchase was Sniper Elite 4 Deluxe for $13.50, 85% off—Steam forum says the DLCs in the Deluxe are definitely worth the price.

I've taken a liking to sniper play recently via Sniper Ghost Warrior 3, so I'll almost definitely play Elite 4 this year.

I don't touch Epic
You're not alone in that!

I support them fully. As an online seller myself, I know what Amazon does to the marketplace—great for the customer short/medium-term, bad for suppliers all the time and the market long-term. Steam is the Amazon of gaming—we need serious competition, which otherwise probably only Amazon or Microsoft could provide, but aren't.

Epic supports devs in two serious ways. Taking a much lower cut of sales—Steam takes 30%, Epic 12%—and their ongoing dev of the excellent Unreal Engine for 20+ years.

That said, Steam store is a far superior product for gamers compared to Epic or any other store. I love it and Amazon as a consumer, but of course as a businessman I know that if they're not challenged then they'll eventually screw us all over.

I don't touch Epic. Not even for free stuff.

Funny, the only reason i even open epic is to get the freebies. I think its kind of funny i have like 30+ games on there without spending a dime.

As for the steam sale, its nowhere near as great as it used to be with discounts, but i wound up buying Red Dead Redemption 2 simply because i just got a 30xx series card and wanted to play a real demanding game graphics wise and figured that was a good choice, considering the sale price its at is usually as low as it goes anyways.

Reactions: Brian Boru
only reason i even open epic is to get the freebies
You can get top-flight games there for $5 during their big sales Summer & XMas. They give a $10 voucher which you can spend on any game $15 or more. Then there are 75% discounts on $60 games which = $15 minus voucher = $5. I got a bunch of Ubisoft biggies there 18 months ago for $5 each.
i have like 30+ games on there
You should have close to 200, unless you only joined this year.

Red Dead Redemption 2 … sale price its at is usually as low as it goes anyways
Was $30 on Epic ~10 days ago. A good place to check/compare prices & historical lows is here:

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
I got a lot more than 40! People keep saying to get out of that first area as fast as you can, but I really liked that place and did quite a few quests there before moving on.

On Steam - yeah, they DEFINITELY need competition in a very bad way. They are letting a lot of their features rot. The forums there, for instance, don't even work right with the client's built-in browser. But they can do it because, even with all that rot, they're still vastly better than what GOG or anyone else has.

I just don't like how Epic is doing it. Instead of giving us a better store, they are giving us much, much less. Then they tell people to just go somewhere else to find guides, forums, screenshots, and whatnot - which leads to a bunch of Epic customers using Steam without buying anything. It's like a restaurant that gives you dinner, then tells you to go to the patio tables at the restaurant next door to eat it. The only reason I see to use the store at all is because they pay off companies so people are forced to go there. Then they try to make up for the bad will by throwing out free games for customers. How about spending that money to make a better store!?

Jun 24, 2021
Visit site
I bought DOOM Eternal. I've had my eye on it for a while so thought now was the time! I'm not enjoying it as much as DOOM 2016, which was a masterpiece in my opinion, but it's still a very good game.

Reactions: Brian Boru
@Myrmidon Recently started playing it on Xbox Game Pass and it is a lot of fun. Been trying it on Nightmare difficulty and hanging on by a very thin thread. It is impressive how some of the guys manage to play it without any death or hud. The sheer amount of memorization and accuracy when traversing the different levels is insane!

Jun 24, 2021
Visit site
@Myrmidon Recently started playing it on Xbox Game Pass and it is a lot of fun. Been trying it on Nightmare difficulty and hanging on by a very thin thread. It is impressive how some of the guys manage to play it without any death or hud. The sheer amount of memorization and accuracy when traversing the different levels is insane!

You playing Doom Eternal or Doom 2016? I'm finding Doom Eternal extremely chaotic and quite difficult compared to 2016, which is a lot more elegant in terms of gameplay. I have concluded that using the flame throwing shoulder thing as often as possible is vital for survival. Ammo management is a nightmare too!

How about spending that money to make a better store!?
As someone with minor experience in building online stores and consumer-facing websites, I can assure you that money isn't the problem. It's expertise & co-ordination & design & management &&&…

a bunch of Epic customers using Steam without buying anything
Reminds me of an article over a decade ago about a small bookshop owner going out of business. People would ask his advice about books, authors etc and then cross the street where they were cheaper.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Zloth
Monster Hunter World, Endless Space 2, Subnautica and Far Cry 5 in the chamber. Waiting until the last day before I pull the trigger.

I kind of miss the days when there were different deals dropping all the time, even if I missed something it was always exciting to check what was coming up on sale next. I used to spend more too.

TRENDING THREADS