Question Sound quits in games

Jul 13, 2020
Visit site
No sound in games, happens if launched within steam or not, seems to randomly quit. rebooting brings sound back.
If I alt tab out of the screen to windows, the sound is working
Have only had the computer for a week, as well as the games. Does it in FS19 and wreckfest. this is the computer :

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Maybe you're switching audio source? When the sound issue happens, check the Window's sound mixer and see if the game is muted there. You may also make sure you have to check in-game options and be sure you selected appropriate audio device.

Since you have this computer for a week, good idea would be to make sure all your drivers and OS are updated as well.

Reactions: The Zapper
Jul 14, 2020
Visit site
Maybe you're switching audio source? When the sound issue happens, check the Window's sound mixer and see if the game is muted there. You may also make sure you have to check in-game options and be sure you selected appropriate audio device.

Since you have this computer for a week, good idea would be to make sure all your drivers and OS are updated as well.

I will add this in regards to unintentionally switching audio source. When I connect my Dual Shock 4 to my PC (and this happens on every Win 10 machine I've used), Windows will automatically switch my default source to my DS4 headset port, regardless if one is plugged in to the controller or not. Sometimes I forget about that and when I launch a game I'm like hey what the heck? Where's the sound? Till I remember what it is. When in-game if you didn't actively disable Microsoft's Game Bar you can press Ctrl-G, or Win-G.. I forget the exact shortcut, and you can quickly change the source to whatever is the one you normally use.

I don't know if that's helpful to you, but thought I'd offer my experience with an issue of no sound when in game.
However, I also definitely agree with OsaX and check all your drivers and update/reinstall, considering it's a new machine. Also, most especially it being a laptop that you didn't build yourself, there's a high probability that could be "sound enhancement" bloatware causing incompatibilities with games and general issues. I would look for any of that stuff and remove it before updating/re-installing sound drivers.

Good Luck!!

Reactions: OsaX Nymloth