Question Slow Transfer Speeds Between Network PCs

Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
Hello all! I'm trying to troubleshoot slow transfer speeds between PCs on my home network.

The drives transferring and receiving are both SSDs on SATA 6 interfaces, and on their respective machines test high write/read, as expected.

However, when transferring files from one machine to another, I only get around 55 MB/s. I've been led to believe I should be able to get much higher.

My home network is entirely CAT 6 cable, both machines have at least Gigabit NICs, and I've disabled Windows Network Tuning on both machines. I've also excluded the transfer folders from Windows Defender, and it's a Ryzen 7 3700X machine sending/receiving (mapped network drives) from an Intel i5 11400 machine, so both processors are zippy.

Both machines are running (activated) Windows 10 Professional. All drivers are current.

The Ryzen board is a B550-M AORUS PRO-P, and the Intel board is a PRIME 560M-A.

My router is an ASUS RX-89X.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
How are you transferring the files? Just straight drag and drop from folders or through an FTP program? Are these large program files, or small loose files?(eg It takes longer to transfer 1000 1mb files than it does to transfer 1 X 1000mb file due to paging)

Are you able to compress the files before transferring? This would prevent the need for paging as it would transfer as 1 compressed file rather than many small ones.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 25, 2022
Visit site
How are you transferring the files? Just straight drag and drop from folders or through an FTP program? Are these large program files, or small loose files?(eg It takes longer to transfer 1000 1mb files than it does to transfer 1 X 1000mb file due to paging)

Are you able to compress the files before transferring? This would prevent the need for paging as it would transfer as 1 compressed file rather than many small ones.

Dragging and dropping to mapped network drive. The speed quoted is for a single file, between 2-5 GB in size.

TRENDING THREADS