Question Screen tearing despite new hardware and optimized settings

Nov 1, 2022
Visit site
Hopefully someone can help me out here. I get screen tearing in some games and I even recently updated my hardware.

Current hardware: 3080Ti, R7 5800x, 32 g ram, monitor with a 144 refresh rate.
I've tried:
Unlimited frame cap, limited frame cap (in-game, Nvidia settings, etc.), turning the game mode off, turning it on, I have g-sync enabled, I don't want to enable v sync if I already have g-sync enabled, power settings set to normal on pc, and a few other small things.

I don't understand how I'm getting screen tearing with better hardware now. I seem to get it a little less when I set a game to well below my refresh rate, like 90 fps, but it's a r7 5800x and a 3080 Ti, that should not be required. Can anyone help me out?

Hi, tearing happens when you go over the refresh rate of the screen you have. AFAIK the way to fix this is to either limit frames to just below your max refresh rate (142 eg) in game/ Nvidia settings as you say you already tried, or to enable Vsync which will cause input lag when you are over the max refresh. I havent used an Nvidia card in a few years so someone else may have another idea.

It would also be useful to know the exact brand and model of monitor you have, to rule out your problems being linked to any compatibility issues with Gsync.

Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
Hmm. First thing to try to see is if you can confirm that the G-sync is operating. My monitor has a handy little gsync feature where it shows its actual controlled refresh rate in the corner. You'd be surprised how finnicky variable refresh can be to get working properly at times... <_<

Otherwise I'd suggest to atleast try to use the "Fast Sync" VSync option in the NVidia control panel. It is a modified Vsync scheme where if the GPU exceeds the refresh rate of the monitor, it drops the frame, rather than push it out risking a tear. It works fairly well with most games and in combination with G-Sync.

Nov 1, 2022
Visit site
Hopefully someone can help me out here. I get screen tearing in some games and I even recently updated my hardware.

Current hardware: 3080Ti, R7 5800x, 32 g ram, monitor with a 144 refresh rate.
I've tried: Mobdro
Unlimited frame cap, limited frame cap (in-game, Nvidia settings, etc.), turning the game mode off, turning it on, I have g-sync enabled, I don't want to enable v sync if I already have g-sync enabled, power settings set to normal on pc, and a few other small things.

I don't understand how I'm getting screen tearing with better hardware now. I seem to get it a little less when I set a game to well below my refresh rate, like 90 fps, but it's a r7 5800x and a 3080 Ti, that should not be required. Can anyone help me out?

I got this,..

TRENDING THREADS