RX 7900 XTX/XT Announcement day thread

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
A non oc version appears
also specs of the vanilla 7900 is out too, 16gb of ram. not as good... what a surprise.

Asus has released a newly-updated power supply wattage recommendation spreadsheet for the RX7900 and the RX 7900 XTX

They still haven't updated the link on the 7900 xt page - https://rog.asus.com/event/PSU/ASUS-Power-Supply-Units/index.html
tops out at 6950xt

good thing i don't have an I7 then. would need a new psu... and then i might as well get a xtx.

I expect the Sapphire models will be silly. i started spreadsheet to track 7900xt models but so far only 2 makers announced any

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
no, I am going to get an Asus one... since their chart shows my CPU and a 7900xt only needs 750.

although rumour is now the 13th December is release date of reference cards and others coming 2 weeks later... i expect before Christmas.

I wasn't planning on buying one until January at earliest. I am just tired of reading the same news :)
also decides that I won't upgrade to a 5800x3d anytime soon as I would need a new PSU as well.
Just get 3 noctua fans at same time.

Last edited:
Works out he needs a new PSU due to spikiness of high end GPU.

Adds a 1kw PSU to list. I didn't really want to replace current PSU but it would have had issues with even a current gen card. I only found out tonight. At least the price of them isn't that much. Still more money to spend. Shame I realised 1 day after Black Friday lol (I am in the future)

I don't really need a 7900xt for 1440p but since 6800xt getting impossible to find, I might as well just wait now. 7800xt might be enough, it needs about same PSU power anyway.

turns out BF runs for 3 days here...

i feel its better to wait till I have some idea what power GPU needs before I buy a PSU. Would be rather dumb buying one that isn't good enough. The discounts on the PSU I am looking at aren't that big anyway, they try to sell things people don't want. So I assume 4080's got a discount lol

Thanks.

Sources from the video in case anyone prefers articles like me :)

Re, clocks. so if the Asus TUF 6900XT cards are clocked similarly to these 7900XTs and the performance difference is obvs pretty linear with that at 5%, Not worth it for the extra heat IMO, could be around an extra 100Watts dumped into your room for that 5%, eww.

Last edited:
its not just about speed, RT has improved as well. That might be enough of a reason to look. I would expect there to be more of a difference. If a 7900xtx is 50% better than a 6950, the difference between a 7900xt & a 6900xt should be larger as well.

If you can't find a 6900xt, you might as well buy the new one. they not cheap around me, Xmas profiteers are around. 4080 doesn't make them any money.

I mean that if the clockspeeds are roughly the same difference then we can probably expect a similar difference between custom/ref 7900 cards as there was between 6900 ref/custom, as clock speed differences on third party OC cards are pretty much the same. The guy went through it in the video I think as well.

So 3x8 pin a bit of a waste as you said, ref cards probably better option for comforts sake (heat), as 5% not really a noticeable difference in frames.

RT scaling is same as raster if you extrapolate the slides, as I understand 7900's will still be behind Nvidia by quite a way. Fine by me, I'll be getting a 7800 or 7700 anyway most likely and may be enough for what I want right now.

Wait and see, we only have 1 AIB's cards to look at, 2 Asus cards. Its unclear if anyone else can get better out of them. And Asus have other models, they have at least 8 cards in XT or XTX so they might not be their best - I realise it said OC models.

I don't actually care about its performance, it is better than what I have now so where it stacks up against other previous gen AMD or Nvidia really doesn't bother me. I was buying it for other reasons.

If I can get a reference card I might pick it up. Depends on demand... not sure which card... will need a new PSU anyway so I could aim high.

if performance is true, wonder when 4080 TI will be released. The 4080 is a dead duck right now, priced too high and about to be beaten by possibly 2 AMD cards at once. I Expect either a price drop or a new card... meaning 4080 is a dodo and almost DOA.

Gigabyte 7900 cards will be available from Tuesday
I suspect Asus and Asrock will be as well, mainly as the websites for the actual cards exists right now.

cards I know of so far, I will edit table once I get more links
RX 7900 XT

MakerModel
Web link​
3 x 8 pinsPSU
AMDReference 7900XT 2 8 pins750watt
Asrock7900XT Taichi OC Yes800w
Asrock7900XT Phantom Gaming OC Yes750w
AsusTUF Gaming RX 7900XT OC Editionhttps://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/graphics-cards/tuf-gaming/tuf-rx7900xt-o20g-gaming/Yes750watt
AsusTUF Gaming RX 7900XT Yes750watt
GigabyteRadeon RX 7900 XT GAMING OC 20G 2 8 pins800watt
GigabyteRadeon RX 7900 XT 20G 2 8 pins750watt

RX 7900 XTX

MakerModel
Web link​
3 x 8 pinsPSU
AMD7900 XTX 2 pins
800​
AsrockAqua yes
1000​
AsrockPhantom yes
1000​
AsusTUF Gaming OC yes
1000​
AsusTUF Gaming yes
850​
GigabyteAORUS Radeon RX 7900 XTX ELITE 24G yes
850​
GigabyteRadeon RX 7900 XTX GAMING OC 24G,
GigabyteRadeon RX 7900 XTX 24G 2 x 8 pins
800​

I know a Gigabyte cards name before it exists.

looks to me like a 1k PSU is minimum for almost both of the cards.

If the manufacturers are saying 750-850 watt on most of them, what makes you figure 1000w is required? Especially the XT

Usually its the other way around. They overstate it because they dont want people on el-cheapo '750 watt' units blowing their systems up and complaining.

I'd suspect that the spikes will be lower this gen than last because they're more aware now. But werent most of the problems on Nvidia cards anyway?

Leaks? (Allegedly)

4080 splits the two here, if its real.

I don't know answer to power question. I have asked someone else. Some of the 6900xt used to spike up a lot too.
Powercolor have announced one of their cards, hours after I posted above charts. I fix that once storms go away
I am sick of the drip drip of information, it is one day to release here, I expect reviews later. 18 hours but who is counting

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
I suspect the price of the xtx will be too high for me and I will get an xt and probably just need an 850, but I live in hope.
When you can't afford an Nvidia card, it really doesn't matter if the one you want does not beat a 4080. I don't care really.
Amazed at how many videos exist comparing cards people can't have yet.

I don't know answer to power question. I have asked someone else. Some of the 6900xt used to spike up a lot too.
Powercolor have announced one of their cards, hours after I posted above charts. I fix that once storms go away
I am sick of the drip drip of information, it is one day to release here, I expect reviews later. 18 hours but who is counting

Yea who's counting. :)

TPU showed the 6900XT as having some monstrous power spikes, but they also showed the 6950XT as having lower ones for some reason so I dont know if that was a mistake maybe, 619 seems a hell of a thing.

Anyway assuming 450Watt spike or even less, as in link above, that still leaves 300 watts for other components. Seems like it would be enough to me if you were running an I5 or Ryzen 7 or under, as long as it wasnt a unit like an older Seasonic Focus that the spikes trigger OCP on and shuts down. Reviews will tell the story.

XTX -reference Boost clock = 2500, Game clock = 2300. So far of the cards I have links for, there are two that do Boost clock of 2680, and have the same game clock of 2510. ONe is water cooled and the other is air cooled.
XT reference Boost clock = 2400, Game clock = 2000. The Asrock Taichi is fastest XT card, with a Boost clock of 2560 & Game clock of 2220, but I only have stats for 5 cards. It is no surprise as it was top 3 last gen, surprise is there isn't a Taichi XTX

Taichi almost as fast as an XTX

Asus have announced cards but no speeds yet.
Gigabyte have 2 cards that match standard specs
See if they actually show in shops.
Asus have 8 cards registered but whether we see them all is another thing
Powercolor & sapphire likely to have better cards, based on previous generation.
MSI might not come out till next year.

Once more cards exist I will change tables to add the Boost & Game clock totals

Probably get an 850 since I have to get a new one anyway. Wiggle room even if most XT say they need 750.

I guess it helps if I know what Game vs Boost does, but from what I can tell, Game is minimum speed is expected to run in games, and Boost is max. They used to show base speed but that seems to have gone now. i wonder if they can make cores sleep. Might explain why there is no Base clock as its 0
its not the same as Nvidia

Last edited:
xtx is spiky, 750 watt transient recorded.

no one really looking at XT, all compare to xtx and say its bad value. It depends what your aims are, I don't care about 4k so I don't really need the best. Both cards max out on 1440p which is what I have... XT runs cooler and doesn't need a 1300w PSU to be safe.
seems reference design isn't the best so I wait for 3rd party.

COLGeek

This was posted on TH. This will prove interesting once other results become available.

TRENDING THREADS