RTX 2080 fans not working properly

Mar 13, 2020
Visit site
Hi!
Hope, I`m writing in a propriete topic, but I even don't know, is this hardware or software problem
There is a problem with my RTX 2080. When I`m gaming, in a few games (RDR2, AOE2 remake etc) fans are working well. When I`m going in pause - they going to silent, and it`s okay, because nothing happens on the screen. But if I press ALT+TAB and minimize game, fans are working in a full again, until I maximize the game. It`s noisy and hot in the room ) It`s not in EVERY game, but many of them.
Configuration - i7 8700 3.2, 16gb ram, RTX 2080. Windows 10. Windows and drivers are updating all the time. What can I do to solve this issue?

Thank you!

Reactions: JSimenhoff
That sound like it could be normal behaviour.

Assuming you have capped FPS e.g. vsync on, the GPU is under load to some degree in the game, and the fans spin to keep it cool. Going to a menu is less demanding on the GPU, so the fans go quieter. Alt tabbing some games lets them run unconstrained FPS even where vsync is on, meaning the load on your GPU is even higher than running the game, so the fans get louder.

Reactions: JSimenhoff and Zoid
Mar 13, 2020
Visit site
That sound like it could be normal behaviour.

Assuming you have capped FPS e.g. vsync on, the GPU is under load to some degree in the game, and the fans spin to keep it cool. Going to a menu is less demanding on the GPU, so the fans go quieter. Alt tabbing some games lets them run unconstrained FPS even where vsync is on, meaning the load on your GPU is even higher than running the game, so the fans get louder.

Thank you!
I just opened the game in window mode, stretched the windows in almost full screen, and when I minimaze game with MINIMIZE button, fans are working properly )) I think its driver issue

Mar 13, 2020
Visit site
They still dont spin when you unpause the game after you tab back in? If im reading this right thats the issue right?
nope, the start spinning when I unpause the game. Issue was that when the game was minimized (from fullscreen to minimize with alttab) fans working at full. It`s loud and hot in my cabinet ) but decision was just to play in window (stretched almost to fullscreen), and in this mode, when you minimize game, fans are working in silent mode

That's not an issue with the GPU, it's just what happens with some games when you minimise them...

Your GPU is designed to be able to run at 100% load. If it is getting too hot, then you need to fix the problem that is causing overheating.

TRENDING THREADS