RTX 2070 Super or 2080 Super..?

May 24, 2020
Visit site
I'm building a new PC and I just can't choose between the RTX 2070 Super and the RTX 2080 Super.. I have a 1440p (144htz) monitor, so not planning on 4K gaming.
But I do want a card that's future proof for the next years, so I can at least play games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Cyberpunk 2077 on High/Ultra settings!

What card would be the better choice for me?

If you can afford it, go for the RTX 2080 Super.

As you are currently building though and new card announcements are due in the next 3 months by both Nvidia and AMD, the smart play would be to wait and see what comes to market (Cyberpunk and Valhalla don't release until later in the year, anyhow) and then decide what to go for.

XB1X and PS5 will make 4K/60/Ultra the new norm, so it pays to have a rig capable of keeping up.

Reactions: KINGVANE
A unicorn is the only thing that will futureproof your build for the coming years.

You can never spend your way into GPU futureproofing. And if the (frankly extremely believable) rumours of Nvidia's 3000 series GPUs massively beefing up raytracing hardware are true, that will only underline the point. Spending £600 on a 2080 Super to 'futureproof' only to find raytracing in future games (and almost all current ones too) runs like garbage and you can't use those features would undermine the purchase.

If you can wait, wait for the new GPUs this year. If you can't wait, I would have suggested the RTX 2070 Super, or ideally the RX 5700 XT if it's cheaper where you are, and keeping the savings towards a GPU upgrade when the time comes.

Often the best (and indeed only) way to futureproof is to just have the money left over to buy future tech.

Reactions: KINGVANE

TRENDING THREADS