Question Rate my upgrades (how bad did I do)

Nov 6, 2022
Visit site
Ok guys, now is the time.. im pulling the trigger on blessing myself this Christmas and upgrading components and this is what I came up with... did I get it right?

Current build:

Radeon RX470
GDDR5 16 gb
I5-6500
MSI Z270

Upgrades:

I5-12400F
ASRock B660 Pro LGA1700
Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x8 GB DDR4-3200
Gigabyte EAGLE Radeon RX 6600 8 gb

Nov 6, 2022
Visit site
Its very hard to say, because it all depends what price you paid for everything vs what else you could have got form the same money.

But sure, those parts will let you play any new game at decent settings 1080p and are good bang for buck options in general. Enjoy :)
Thanks fir the reply I didnt exactly go with that and ended up canceling a few items. What I did go with is:

MB: MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK WIFI DDR4
CPU: I5 12400F
GPU: XFX RADEON 580 GTS
RAM: 2x8 16GB CORSAIR VEGEANCE LPX

Should I get two more sticks of the same 2x8 ram? I do have 4x4 previous corsair vengeance, will this matter any?

Also im planning to use both GPUS new and old (Radeon RX 470) if the case I have allows it.

Should I get two more sticks of the same 2x8 ram? I do have 4x4 previous corsair vengeance, will this matter any?
mixing sets can lead to errors you don't have now. If you want 32gb of ram, buy a set of 4 x 8gb sticks. Less chance of errors.

there aren't a lot of benefits now of trying to use 2 cards together. Most games don't run it and I don't know if boards even support crossfire anymore.

Reactions: Brian Boru
So what I believe @Colif youre thinking about is with 8GB sticks some are Single Rank which is to do with the way data is transferred to and from the DIMMs. It was shown that in some CPU limited instances a Dual Rank config was quite a bit faster. Using 4 sticks would make single rank sticks perform together as dual rank. Having 4 Dual Rank sticks still gives you Dual Rank on each memory channel, so no extra benefit.

As I understand it, 16GB sticks are almost all Dual Rank so you get 2r performance even with 2 sticks.

4 Sticks are harder on the CPU's memory controller so they are more likely to cause instability that requires tweaking of voltages or timings in BIOS. Basically 2 16GB sticks are much more likely to plug and play, and also gives you dual rank performance.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS