Random Game Thoughts Thread - February 05 - February 11

You know what would be a funny thread? If instead of 'guess the game from AI art' we had 'guess the game from this picture I drew'. We could put some rules to it, like a max amount of time you could spend drawing the picture. And probably you only get one picture. After a few guesses, you just reveal what the game was.

Playing Dead Space remake and a host of other games. My vision has to be in good standing for Dead Space because it's such a dark game, so I haven't gotten very far, but I'm avoiding playing Forza, which kills my vision faster than any other game, so that I can get some more Dead Space in. I may end up playing a little Forza, though, because I haven't completed the weekly stuff yet.

Been trying to learn a couple of games, Cities XXL and Greats of the Gridiron. Cities XXL has been very fun despite its mostly negative reviews. Apparently when it launched it was exactly like the previous game and got terrible reviews because of that, but I've never played the previous game, so it's been great to me.

Greats of the Gridiron was made by a solo dev and trying to do anything in is is like having to work a Rubik's Cube. Intuitive and user-friendly are not concepts the dev has every come across.

Edit: Oh, and I'm trying to get back into my solo game of Colony Survival because I really want to do my texture mod, but I lack the drive to do it if I'm not actively playing the game.

You know what would be a funny thread? If instead of 'guess the game from AI art' we had 'guess the game from this picture I drew'. We could put some rules to it, like a max amount of time you could spend drawing the picture. And probably you only get one picture. After a few guesses, you just reveal what the game was.
predicts an endless stream of people saying the name of game in 1st image shown in thread... just like that other thread. Nice if there was a way to have the current picture show at top of thread instead of the 1st one.

predicts an endless stream of people saying the name of game in 1st image shown
That's gotten better, it's only occasional now, maybe one a week.

'guess the game from this picture I drew'
Give it a shot if you think it might fly. I wouldn't participate if 'winning' meant I was up next—I have neither the skill nor the time :) But there could be a few fellow artistic souls to join you—and of course, I'd be happy to troll y'all :devilish:

Why not, I say! Also, I think we all know how my excellent drawing skills will be an immense contribution to the thread.

WOOHOO!

The Sons of the Forest is releasing into early access on the 23rd. They said rather than delay the game again, since they have so much still to add, that they have decided to go the early access route.

The players are mostly positive about it, but there are a few very loud people who don't want me to play early access games because they don't like them. You know what I say to them? Enjoy not playing. I played through the original game several times during EA and then played again once it launched. Got my money's worth several times over, and I plan to do that with the new game, too,.

Survival games don't need endings to enjoy them if you are a survival player.

You know what's dumber than match 3--just kidding, Brian--it's that Steam doesn't notify you when you get awards from other users. I've got over 770k points right now, so I wandered around the Sons of the Forest forum and gave awards to the posters whose comments I liked, but they will never realize someone awarded them unless they go back and look at their old comments.

You know what's dumber than match 3--just kidding, Brian--it's that Steam doesn't notify you when you get awards from other users. I've got over 770k points right now, so I wandered around the Sons of the Forest forum and gave awards to the posters whose comments I liked, but they will never realize someone awarded them unless they go back and look at their old comments.
This forum is the same way with Likes. I never get notified, so I never know unless I go back and look. I don't remember for sure, though. There may be a setting, and I may have turned it off because I was sick of getting notifications.

I'm playing Stabound this week also. My ship is getting more personalized and I have even set up a poker table on the lower deck. I'm also playing Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father since I never did play through it last time. I tried the Aniversary Edition, but I found Tim Curry's voice to be better and I also prefer it to look more pixelated given the fact that I grew up playing point-and-click games in the 90s. Hopefully, there is a better use of cassette tapes in this game, since it was really lacking in The Beast Within A Gabriel Knight Mystery (my favorite in the series) and I think I would enjoy going back and forth with tapes to find clues like a real detective.

This forum is the same way with Likes. I never get notified, so I never know unless I go back and look. I don't remember for sure, though. There may be a setting, and I may have turned it off because I was sick of getting notifications.

I do get notifications for likes, though they disappear if I open the page with the corresponding comment.

You probably turned it off somewhere on the preferences page.

I got notified through the HP app that there was a bios update. I thought, I don't like Bios updates. HP is going to bork my laptop. Ten minutes later my laptop is borked. I went from 90 FPS in Dead Space to 15 FPS, and from 200 FPS in Astroneer to 30 FPS. I tried resetting to the Bios default settings, but that didn't help. This, once again, just proves that the universe is intelligent and actively hates me. Just going to call HP...

I got notified through the HP app that there was a bios update. I thought, I don't like Bios updates. HP is going to bork my laptop. Ten minutes later my laptop is borked. I went from 90 FPS in Dead Space to 15 FPS, and from 200 FPS in Astroneer to 30 FPS. I tried resetting to the Bios default settings, but that didn't help. This, once again, just proves that the universe is intelligent and actively hates me. Just going to call HP...

Well that sucks. Hope it gets sorted out.

I'm still playing Dead Space. Old World isn't appealing to me for some reason teh last few days. Maybe it feels a little too much like Civ, even if its very different, not sure.

I should probably just boot it up and finish the game off I'm in. A non tutorial game with tougher AI might be more interesting.

You know what's dumber than match 3
Well yeah, of course—Watching Turnips Grow Simulator, or whacking same guy in same way hundreds of times for an hour, or updating BIOS, …need more? :p

This forum is the same way with Likes. I never get notified
Dunno if this'll work: Go to Preferences and tick the 'Reacts to your message' Alert:
Oxg23qL.png

The Reactions received main link will show all you've ever received, thankfully with most recent at top.

I do get notifications for likes, though they disappear if I open the page with the corresponding comment.

You probably turned it off somewhere on the preferences page.
Yeah, I probably did.

Dunno if this'll work: Go to Preferences and tick the 'Reacts to your message' Alert:
If there is a setting, then I must have turned it off. I don't really care to get notified for every like. As popular as I am, I'd be getting notified every two minutes! :LOL:

(just joking)

Ive always been terrible at multi-tasking in RTS games. Maybe with Company of Heroes 3 I can finally pull off having the level of micromanaging of units I prefer without tanking my economy. As an extra upside, this will probably increase the amount of hours I can get out of the game by at least 400%, as I'll spend most matches paused to update my orders.

That's really good to read, used to love RTS games but the last one I played other than Total War was Company of Heroes 1. Mainly because the speed of most of them these days in real time just makes me feel anxious when I'm playing. This makes me much more likely to give it a go.

Ive always been terrible at multi-tasking in RTS games. Maybe with Company of Heroes 3 I can finally pull off having the level of micromanaging of units I prefer without tanking my economy. As an extra upside, this will probably increase the amount of hours I can get out of the game by at least 400%, as I'll spend most matches paused to update my orders.
That's really good to read, used to love RTS games but the last one I played other than Total War was Company of Heroes 1. Mainly because the speed of most of them these days in real time just makes me feel anxious when I'm playing. This makes me much more likely to give it a go.
Well, this went from 'nah' to 'hell yes' very quickly for me. I'm only buying one $60 game this month, so Harry Potter just got kicked to the curb. There's almost zero chance I would actually finish the Potter game, anyway.

Company of Heroes 3
Moved from 'Following' to Wishlist, which also functions as a Maybelist. If I recall correctly, the earlier COHs were RTT, not RTS in any meaningful way, with the prime focus on combat. I know I bounced off them pretty quickly.

I'm far more interested in maximizing the chance that a battle is won before it happens, rather than in the actual battle happening. Control the battlefield, you control the battle.

TRENDING THREADS