Quiz: name that game

Page 20 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

McStabStab

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
X-COM or UFO Defense or whatever it was called where you are.
Beat me to it! Although I’m sure several others know as well. Man I have a lot of hours in that game, I even replayed it leading up to the release of the new XCOM and I still cling to the opinion that its better than XCOM2.

Reactions: Mazer
Jan 14, 2020
Is it Dark Age of Camelot?

Could be waaaaay off because I've never actually played the game, but it's the first thing that came to mind. I seem to remember looking at screenshots for the game in a magazine way back when and thinking it looked amazing. That was pre-WoW, of course.

Reactions: Frindis and Zloth
The crazy thing is There is a whole generation of people that never experienced pre-wow.
I don't think I played any MMO's before World of Warcraft was first released, but my first MMO (and the best, imo) was Tibia, which is from 1997.

Looking through the Wikipedia list of MMORPGs, I realized I have played a lot of the MMOs that were released around the same time as World of Warcraft (+/- 3 years).

Reactions: Rensje

Zloth

Community Contributor
Is it Dark Age of Camelot?
That it is!

Came out late 2001. I think its initial big claim to fame was that the thing actually worked pretty well at release. After the release of Anarchy Online, that was a welcome "feature." That one had to actually close down after the first few days and re-launch it about a month later. Even then, it was in a pretty bad way for the first few months.

The game was fun at first but everything ended up too... not sure what term to use... MMO'ish? Instead of going on an adventure through a dungeon, you would go to the Most Optimal Farming Point in the dungeon and fight as things re-spawned. Eventually you would gain some levels and graduate to the next Optimal Point. All the rules of who was allowed to fight what that were established elsewhere (EverQuest?) were fully in force here. I can't say it was very fun.

Reactions: Rensje
Jan 14, 2020
All good guesses, but the genre you're thinking of isn't quite right.

Legend of Grimrock 2 has been the best guess so far because that game is viewed from the right perspective, but in this game the movement isn't quite so.. constrained.

The game is also not a sequel. A spiritual successor, maybe.

ASK THE COMMUNITY