Question Programable Macro Keys (Keyboard), do you ever use them?

This could possibly be posted in the General Gaming heading, but it felt more relevant to me to be posted in the Gaming Accessories section, as it really just relates to the macro keys on a keyboard.

It seems like every gaming keyboard has macro keys these days, but I've never actually taken the time to learn how to use them. That's just laziness on my part though, not taking the time to learn, as I have all the information at hand to program the macro keys (6 on my Corsair K95 Platinum).

Do any of you take the time to program those macro keys? And if you do, does it actually help with certain functions within a game, or is it not worth the effort? Is it game specific, so that only certain games allow it, or is it something that can be done for any game? It seems like they could be quite handy, especially if you could combine a set of "moves or actions" to a single key.

I have a Roccat Isku KB which is a few years old now—that's it in the link, it was $50-60 at the time. There are 5 extra keys on left, another bunch of media keys up top, and 25 of the normal keys on the left can be called into use by using another activator key—I use Caps Lock which I otherwise disable.

Top left in the pic you can see a blue light + 4 unlit slots with P1-P5 written under them. Those are 5 Profile slots, so you can have 5 different sets of key assignments if you wish—eg one default for Windows, and 4 more for different games.

This is an option worth checking out for people who find the 20-button MMO mice don't really work for them.

Do any of you take the time to program those macro keys?
I did for one game—probably Crysis, or maybe a Far Cry—but didn't bother afterwards. Nowadays I only use the default Windows profile, which is a big help day-to-day in my work—altho I've since mostly transitioned to TypeItIn as I prefer the visual interface on my 2nd monitor. I only use 8 of the programmable KB keys daily now.

Btw my KB came with a bunch of ~20 presets for games of the time, so your Corsair should have a raft of same ready for you.

does it actually help with certain functions
I never did anything complicated in the game, so it didn't help me much. I imagine it could help a lot when there are complex multi-key maneuvers to pull off.

However, it was a big help to me in my work, and still is a nice help. One-key presses for multiple daily actions is nice.

Is it game specific
No. It only works on KB, doesn't matter what you're using KB for—KB doesn't know where its keypresses are going.
Of course, a particular game or dev or cloud operation may look for such automation in order to ban it in multiplayer.

Reactions: mainer
Brian you said

"Of course, a particular game or dev or cloud operation may look for such automation in order to ban it in multiplayer. "

And Brian thats the reason why i have never used macros , i used warframe for 7 years and they used to post that macro uses may get banned because their systems would not be able to tell the difference between a hacker and fast moving macro set ups. I have seen other games devs post this type of comment as well.

Reactions: Brian Boru
No i do not use macros at all mainly because when i have set them up before i A. forget that i set them and B. would have problems keeping them (and this has happened with most of my keyboards/mice).

And Brian thats the reason why i have never used macros , i used warframe for 7 years and they used to post that macro uses may get banned because their systems would not be able to tell the difference between a hacker and fast moving macro set ups. I have seen other games devs post this type of comment as well.

I can vouche for this. Bungie has had to actually change M/KB loadouts in Destiny 2 because people macro and broke how characters were able to run/walk/shoot due to macros. Also, people use macros in that game to be able to boost their levels really high and not actively play. So bungie has tried to cut down on macros but i couldnt say if people have been banned too much for it becasue i never used them or never came up with people ive talked to who use them.

Dragon143

BANNED
Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Yes, because programmable macro keys on a keyboard provide several advantages that enhance productivity, convenience, and customization. Here are some of the key advantages:
Increased Efficiency: Programmable macro keys allow you to assign complex or repetitive tasks to a single key. Instead of executing a series of commands or keystrokes manually, you can automate them with a single press of a macro key. This saves time and increases overall efficiency, especially for tasks such as video editing, gaming, programming, or data entry.
Customization: Macro keys offer a high level of customization. You can program them to perform a wide range of actions, including launching applications, opening specific files or websites, executing keyboard shortcuts, performing text expansions, or even running complex scripts. This level of customization allows you to tailor the keyboard to your specific workflow, making it more convenient and personalized.
Streamlined Gaming Experience: Gamers can benefit greatly from macro keys. They can assign commonly used game commands, such as quick weapon switches, spell casting, or building structures, to dedicated macro keys. This enables faster execution of actions, reduces the need for complex key combinations, and provides a competitive advantage in fast-paced gaming scenarios.
Multitasking and Workflow Optimization: With programmable macro keys, you can streamline your workflow by assigning frequently used commands, shortcuts, or sequences of actions to dedicated keys. This is particularly useful for professionals working with software like Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Excel, or programming environments where repetitive actions can be automated. It enables you to switch between tasks more efficiently and focus on the creative or analytical aspects of your work.
Easy Access to Functions: Macro keys are typically located in easily accessible positions on the keyboard, such as the side or the top. This allows you to quickly access specific functions or execute complex actions without interrupting your typing flow. The convenience of having frequently used commands or shortcuts readily available can save time and minimize distractions.
Enhanced Productivity: By automating repetitive tasks or creating shortcuts, macro keys help reduce manual errors and increase overall productivity. They eliminate the need to remember complex sequences of commands, reducing the cognitive load and allowing you to concentrate on the task at hand.
Versatility: Macro keys are not limited to specific applications or tasks. You can adapt them to various scenarios, making them suitable for a wide range of professions, hobbies, or personal preferences. Whether you're a gamer, programmer, content creator, data analyst, or simply looking to optimize your workflow, macro keys can be configured to enhance your specific needs.
In summary, programmable macro keys on a keyboard offer increased efficiency, customization, streamlined gaming experiences, multitasking capabilities, easy access to functions, enhanced productivity, and versatility. They empower users to automate tasks, optimize workflows, and tailor their keyboard to their unique requirements, ultimately improving their overall computing experience.

TRENDING THREADS