Question PC "Crashes" While Rendering (With Davinci Resolve 17 & Vegas 18)

Jan 30, 2021
Visit site
Dear PC Gamer Community,

This has been happening on/off for most of my time owning this PC (self-built), however, it has been rising in frequency recently (eventually coming to the point where it crashes on every render).

Details of renders:

I was trying to render a simple 6 minute video, with basic effects (Blur, and stock animated text).

At first, I edited it with Davinci Resolve, and my pc crashed while rendering, (even while rendering with cached images). However, this has also been happening with Sony Vegas 18, a popular video editing software.
(1080p 24-30 fps video)

Crash Info:

When the computer "crashed", the fans were still running, the RGB lights were still on (power button, RAM, GPU), the GPU fans were still on, and it seemed that the PC was still running, BUT my monitor said there was no signal to the computer. My mouse also had its RGB lights blinking weirdly whenever I made a click.

So, the monitor lost signal, however the pc (from looking at it) still seems to be functioning.

I checked thermals with MSI Afterburner, and I put the fans on max (with the fans on max, the temp was around 40-43 degrees while rendering). Without fans, temps were at 55+ (Celsius).

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x Six-Core processor (4.05GHz overclock)

Motherboard: B450 GAMING PLUS MAX (MS-7B86)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB

Memory: 16 GB 3200mhz

Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB HDD

240 GB SSD (Forgot brand, sorry!)

Any ideas on how I could fix/prevent this?

I'm not sure if this is a thermal problem, or a software problem, as this was my first PC build, so I have minimal knowledge about thermals.

Thanks so much guys! First forum post of my life, so if I am in the wrong forum or thread, let me know!

First forum post of my life
Welcome to the forum :)

Check your Windows power saving settings—your symptoms sound like something's getting turned off much sooner than it should.

MS updates occasionally change a few settings, which can be annoying to hunt down.
(4.05GHz overclock)
Turn that off would be my next thought.

Still not solved? I haven't done any video rendering, but as far as I know it's heavier on CPU than GPU—so maybe your CPU is a bit weak? Have you tried GPU-focused rendering, if that's an option?

A test which should provide useful info:
Run Task Manager while rendering and watch how heavily the CPU and GPU are loaded. If one is near 100%, is there any other app using up some of the resource? If yes, turn it off so the render gets the full capacity.

I've seen some problems recently with Nvidia drivers for gaming. Do a disk image, and then either update to latest drivers, or if that's what you have, roll back to an earlier one.

TRENDING THREADS