Question PC build advice. Budget is around 750-1000$

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Hello guys. I hope everyone is okay in these tough times. I'm writing this bc I need a new pc. I have a Lenovo y50 and it's struggling with cooling even tho I have a cooler, HDD is old and slow and it's 6 years old right now and it's pretty much struggling with gaming and running programs like MS Office which I'm mostly using due to school. I'm not a hardcore gamer. I just need a mid-end pc to run new games aight like Warzone. If you guys can help me with this it would be perfect. And also monitor is included in that budget.
I was thinking a build like this:
Cpu: Amd Ryzen 5 3600 or 2600
Mobo: Asus prime b450 plus
Ram: G.Skill Sniperx 2x8gb 3000mhz
Gpu: Gtx 1660 Super or RX580
SSD: WD 500gb M.2 Black
PSU: 650w
What would you change in this build?

Last edited:
Reactions: Aslek
Its a difficult time to recommend building a new rig at the moment. The new Ryzen 5000 chips are all out but out of stock and we are waiting to see what goes on with graphics cards in the middle of the stack in the next few months. If you can waint until the new year when things settle down you may get a better deal.

If you can't wait your build is definitely on the right track for this moment in time. I'd suggest getting a 1TB SSD because 500GB is going to last you 5 minutes with the size of games now. Also I'd suggest getting a decent PSU, don't just buy the cheapest you can find, something like the Seasonic M12 III 550watt would be more than enough and are going quite cheap right now.

I suggest a 1660/1660 Super over an RX 580 as either would be faster. I would pair that with a 1080p 144hz monitor for around $200. Make sure it has Freesync.

I'm afraid I dont keep up with monitors that much and the market is moving particularly fast at the moment, but I'm sure you can get a good one for around that price with a bit of research. Alternatively you might find a 75 hz or maybe a cheaper 144hz 1440p monitor. The 1660's arent really built for high refresh at high settings on those though, but with some lowered settings you'd be able to keep it relatively smooth in most games for a while.

Reactions: tahacamm
Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Its a difficult time to recommend building a new rig at the moment. The new Ryzen 5000 chips are all out but out of stock and we are waiting to see what goes on with graphics cards in the middle of the stack in the next few months. If you can waint until the new year when things settle down you may get a better deal.

If you can't wait your build is definitely on the right track for this moment in time. I'd suggest getting a 1TB SSD because 500GB is going to last you 5 minutes with the size of games now. Also I'd suggest getting a decent PSU, don't just buy the cheapest you can find, something like the Seasonic M12 III 550watt would be more than enough and are going quite cheap right now.

I suggest a 1660/1660 Super over an RX 580 as either would be faster. I would pair that with a 1080p 144hz monitor for around $200. Make sure it has Freesync.

I'm afraid I dont keep up with monitors that much and the market is moving particularly fast at the moment, but I'm sure you can get a good one for around that price with a bit of research. Alternatively you might find a 75 hz or maybe a cheaper 144hz 1440p monitor. The 1660's arent really built for high refresh at high settings on those though, but with some lowered settings you'd be able to keep it relatively smooth in most games for a while.
Thank you very much for your suggestions. Like I said at first I'm not a hardcore gamer and due to currency issues in my country (Turkey), I'm not looking for a 2k or 4k res with ultra settings in-game. Also, the stock problem is huge all around the world like you said. Both new Ryzen chipsets and RTX 30 series will be out of stock immediately when it's out in here so I'm really not looking for them right now. About SSD, normally I wanna go with 1TB but it's really up to my budget. About the monitor, just like you said I'm looking for a 1080p 144hz monitor. Hopefully, I can find a decent one. Thanks again. I really appreciate that.

No problem. I understand the budget constraints and you've done some of your own research well. I still encourage you to get 1TB even if it means cutting back on your motherboard. The Asrock B450HDV is cheaper and looks decent. As long as it has enough USB's etc for you.

COD warzone has a 250GB install apparently and Windows is 100GB. Out of around 470GB of a 500GB drive you wont fit much more on there. Its not hard to upgrade storage down the road either though so up to you :)

Reactions: Aslek and tahacamm
Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
No problem. I understand the budget constraints and you've done some of your own research well. I still encourage you to get 1TB even if it means cutting back on your motherboard. The Asrock B450HDV is cheaper and looks decent. As long as it has enough USB's etc for you.

COD warzone has a 250GB install apparently and Windows is 100GB. Out of around 470GB of a 500GB drive you wont fit much more on there. Its not hard to upgrade storage down the road either though so up to you :)
Yeah, I will definitely go with 1TB SSD. I was thinking like I won't download every game, I'll download only the ones I'm playing the most but like you said warzone and windows alone will take almost all the storage. Thanks again :)

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Btw what about Ryzen 7 2700x? Would you choose 3600 or 2700x? Or will there be any difference between them? Because they're at the same price.