Question "Partial upgrade - Ryzen 7 7800x3d - primarily for TF2, other competitive shooters and older AAA games

Oct 20, 2023
Visit site
Hello dear reader,

I am looking to partially upgrade my 6 year old rig(specs below). My reasoning for picking the Ryzen 7 7800x3d is because TF2 is a heavily CPU-bound game which relies on single core performance, thus 7800x3d seems to me like a good choice. The reason for picking AMD is that I am looking to switch to Linux in the near future, and from what I know, their components work best compared to their competition.
I am also considering getting a RX 6600 XT used, there is one listed for 200€ (with warranty/bought half a year ago). I would then upgrade this component down the line.

ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Video CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM16GB
Motherboard
H110M PRO-D (MS-7996)

Budget: 800€, but I can be flexible

Approximate Purchase Date: I'm in no rush

Use Case: TF2, other shooters, Starfield(not crucial) and some other AAA games (Red Dead Redemption 2 has been sitting in my library for the past 2-3 years unfinished)

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, SSD, Motherboard?

Am I buying a monitor: No

Your Monitor Resolution and desired frame rate: 1920x1080 144hz ; 250fps stable in TF2

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Whatever ships to Croatia without ridiculous fees

Parts Preferences:
AMD

Overclocking: Maybe

Additional Comments: -I still use the disc drive

RAM

Motherboard

CPU worth having a look at.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Oct 20, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for your answer sir!

RAM
Is 32GB really necessary in this day and age?

Motherboard
I see that the AM5 Motherboard prices are still quite high.

CPU worth having a look at.
Interesting, Hardware unboxed testing showed that in CS:GO (Source engine game like TF2) the 7700x was 20% faster. Will look further into that one.

Reactions: Why_Me

TRENDING THREADS